Looking for the USS Discovery...

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by ohgodwhy, Feb 13, 2008.

1. ohgodwhy

ohgodwhy Member

Hello All,

I've started this thread, in the hopes that one of the designers out there might be imposed upon to start work on a card model of the USS Discovery from 2001 : A Space Odessey. There's a really awesome card model of the EVA pod from the same movie on this site ( Can't seem to find it as I write. ), and I think I'd be a shame if the Discovery didn't get a card model of her own. I've seen the hako version of the Discovery, but it just doesn't seem to make it. Can anyone help ?

ARMORMAN Guest

I have one in the works, but I have several in the queue ahead of it.
  3. OhioMike

OhioMike Member

My plan was to use most of the Hako kit and replace the block up front with a sphere kit. Plenty of those around! Its part of the hundreds of other plans i have in mind for a hundred other things!!!! LOL!!!
  4. ohgodwhy

ohgodwhy Member

I'm sure whatever you guys come up with will be great. I've been hoping for a better Discovery for a while, even more so since I ran across the EVA pod model. No rush, but please update when you get around to it.
  5. jleslie48

jleslie48 Member

That's what I did for my build. I used one of the models of the death star as a base for the sphere, and then replaced the death star shooty thing with the pod bay doors, and repeated that 3x:

6. CJTK1701

CJTK1701 Banned

Brilliant. I was going to say that you could resize the pod and recolor it as a base for the forward section of the Discovery, but you're essentially doing the same thing with the Death Star.
  7. theo

theo Member

Here is a drawing I found on the Net.
    Perhaps you all ready have it but , better twice than not.
    The Discovery
  8. CJTK1701

CJTK1701 Banned

That's Cobywan's work, he does some fine work. That would be a great place to start.
  9. jparenti

jparenti Member

jleslie, that's awesome! I did that model a while back, and never thought to use a Death Star for the pressure sphere. I need to look into that myself...
  10. FlareBaffled

FlareBaffled Member

In terms of modelling ...this is a really pretty simple ship to design. Many repeating components, and some fairly simple geometric shapes. What will be the REAL challenge here will be to make it so that the structure is rigid enough not to sag ... hmm...

Now..if it weren't for the fact that I have a Baneblade to build, plus a large scale Stardestroyer that I am neglecting AND ( sorry CTJK1701) am supposed to be finding time to build a Y-Wing mesh... then I would give it a go!
  11. CJTK1701

CJTK1701 Banned

Don't sweat the Y-Wing, I've got enough to do and I've still not got the prints the way I want them. I should have an update soon.

I hear ya on the Discovery though and gave it some thought as well, but since I don't even have a working printer right now..... I can't do much to work on it.
  12. FlareBaffled

FlareBaffled Member

Has anyone here got a nice side view of the ship that shows the variations in the fuel tanks? I noticed from looking at the plan picture that they are not all the same, and have longer and shorter parts ... but I can't find a decent picture that really shows the greeble details or any other distinctive features.

I can make up something ... but would like to have a 'real' picture to flexh out what the plan shows. :row1:
  13. CJTK1701

CJTK1701 Banned

Hope some of this may help.

2001: A Space Odyssey Internet Resource Archive: Gallery

There's a mesh here...

The Celestia Motherlode: Creator detailed information

2001: A Space Odyssey - SciFi/Fantasy Wiki
  14. CJTK1701

CJTK1701 Banned

Here's one of 1297 screen caps I did of the movie for website article.

15. FlareBaffled

FlareBaffled Member

Man...you are a walking Sci Fi encyclopedia! :inw:

That 11Mb mesh is just the thing I was looking for. I have made a 'generic' set of blocks for a section, but needed more to detail them up a bit. This is just the thing. If I can get away with repeated greebles, then I will ... but this will give me some good ideas to work from.

The film shots all seem to show the ship either from a distance, or from an angle which makes the fuel pods lit badly for picking out detail. The other shots you linked me to, however, do give some lovely angles on the engine area...which is the other bit I needed to detail!

Stuck at the parents house for the weekend ( borrowing the old-man's PC ... hmm ) so I will be getting stuck into this when I get back to my proper machine! Thank the maker for the cheapness of large USB sticks...
  16. CJTK1701

CJTK1701 Banned

If you need anything more, let me know. I can get more shots, as I said I did a few screen shots for an article. You're correct in that most are at an angle or at a distance, but I'll go through and try to find some better shots.

ARMORMAN Guest

As I said...it's in my queue...just a ways away....

Attached Files:

18. Hot4Darmat

Hot4Darmat Member

Nice! That screenie of your work in progress just makes me desperate to see this model hanging from my ceiling. How far off is "...just a ways away..."?
  19. ohgodwhy

ohgodwhy Member

Now that's a little more like it. Thanks ARMORMAN, it looks like it's gonna be awesome !

ARMORMAN Guest

I have the Talon from "Stealth" to finish and make instructions for, Then I promised I would design a certain Flying Wing from a movie of notariety, then this...or the Flying HK from Terminator/T2....