Looking for test builders

Discussion in 'Aircraft & Aviation' started by mig29, May 17, 2006.

1. mig29

mig29 New Member

Hi to all

I need serious test builders for my models.
    In several days I'll finish the Jas-39 Grippen in 1:72 scale.
    As I built it myself, I'm looking more to verify the numbering and instructions
    before I send it to Gripen International for approval and put into mass production.

Use this e-mail, please: gabriel.panait@gabrielmodels.com

Thank you

Gabriel Panait

2. Bengt F

Bengt F Active Member

Test Build of The Swedish JAS-39 "Gripen" Fighter

Hi Gabriel,

I volunteer for a test build. I have sent you a mail.
    Looking forward to hearing from you.

best regards,
  3. Amazyah

Amazyah Senior Member

Hello Bengt,
    Have you started building this model yet?

I have begun and I just didn't want us to be duplicating reports.
  4. Bengt F

Bengt F Active Member

Test Building The JAS-39A Gripen

Hi Russel,

No, but I have started to print out large sheets for colour calibration. However, there has been a slight problem in connection with printing round shapes from one of the pdf sheets. Gabriel has sent me another pdf-file but I haven´t had time to print it yet.
    I plan to start the build this coming weekend, if all goes according to plan re. the printing. I will in any case build in a larger scale than 1:72.

I have done some research for good hi-res pictures, for example on Airliners.net, to get the grey colour tone of the plane´s surface right.
    But don´t you worry about duplicating reports - I won´t be posting anything for a while yet. I have a lot of other modelling projects going on and I have a trip to the Alps coming up in two weeks, so don´t expect anything from me on Monday.
    best regards,
    Bengt :grin:
  5. Amazyah

Amazyah Senior Member

Hello Bengt,
    How do I get to print this file in a larger scale?
    I have never printed anything larger than it was meant to be, only smaller because I am forced to.
    I started the build in smaller than 1/72.
    My printer prints with a margin and in order to get all the parts within the margin I had to print at 94%.
    Needless to say it is a build in the difficult range because of the small parts.
    I would much rather build this in a larger scale.
    Did Gabriel send you a larger scale or did you do this yourself?
    If he sent it to you I will just contact him for the same file.

6. Bengt F

Bengt F Active Member

Prints in Larger Size

Hi Russel,

I simply use my A3 printer and print the PDFs to A3 (borderless) size, which is 297 by 420 mm.
    I wouldn´t try this model smaller than 1:72, or even 1:72 - my fingers just aren´t that small and my eyes aren´t what they used to be.

If I want it it bigger than A3, I have to cut the sheets up in half, and scan them separately. Then I print them again in A3. This takes a lot of extra work re. contrast and colours, but it´s one way of getting a larger scale.
    Another option is to trace individual parts in Illustrator (the program that the model is made in) or Photoshop, cut them out and paste them into a new document - this is an even better, more professional way of doing it. You may then orientate the parts along the grain of the paper, for easier rolling and fitting and you can decide the scale almost indefinately, within resolution and quality margins, of course.
    But alas, I don´t have time for that this time, so I´ll just do it the scanner way in 1:33 or 1:24.

7. Getter1

Getter1 Active Member

Test Build

Alrighty here we go,

I recieved the file to test build back when Gabriel announced this model. Shortly after I got the file I had moved across the country from Flordia to Washington. I was going to start building it shortly after getting here but my PC crashed and the file was lost. I recently found this thread and got the file from Gabriel agian so her ewe go with the test build.

I too didn't have the proper paper type so my print out is a bit smaller than the intended 1/72 but hey it's a test not a final product yet. Also I printed out on 65lbs. card stock which has been resisting shaping sometimes and caused a few minor fit issues but that was my goof not the designer's.

1st impression, it reminds me a lot of P-Models style in construction. It also requires a lot of precision with not much room for error but it is a nice fitting kit so far. From what I have built so far it is about 99% there to a completed model ready for sale :D

Anywho on to the pics.

I started with the nose section as it is the thoughest part on this kit. Also there are no body formers so the nose section paves the way for the aft sections shapes.

Attached Files:

8. Getter1

Getter1 Active Member

A close up of the cockpit.

Attached Files:

9. Getter1

Getter1 Active Member

A shot of the inner structure.

Attached Files:

10. Getter1

Getter1 Active Member

Another full shot of the nose. Notice the heavy stock tabs in the nose area showed through the skin :( I should've printed twice. One on stock and one on printer paper for the tabs and small detail parts. Oh well.

Attached Files:

11. Bengt F

Bengt F Active Member

JAS-39 Gripen Attack Jet Fighter Model by Gabriel Panait

Getter 1,

You have done a tremendous job of this test build! The seams are perfect and the alignment couldn´t be better. I also like your devotion to detail, for example the air intakes and the beautiful cockpit. This will be a wondeful model, which I am sure will make Gabriel very proud. I will follow the development with great interest.

I have got most of the pieces cut out, backside numbered and nicely rounded - but here it still is, I´m a bit ashamed to admit.
    I´ll start on it again when my injured right arm gets better. For the time being, I´m trying to do everything (and I mean everything...) with my left hand, which is a bit awkward.

Good luck with the fuselage and wings!

with the left hand,
    Bengt :D
  12. Getter1

Getter1 Active Member

Bengt Fredén,

Thanks for the kind words. I hope your arm gets better, it sucks when you can't model :(

I got the fuselage together. It fits nicely but there is a lot of shaping to do and the heavy card fought me a bit. I really like how Gabriel hid the fuselage section's joint line. the connection strips are on the top side leaving a ridge down the backbone for the tail fin to rest into. I did have one misaligned panel line but it was my own fault due to an incorrect cut of the part. The color went past the part edge and I cut along the color line not the actual part line mistakenly. I'm making notes of changes (which so far are very few) as I find them for Gabe.

Attached Files:

13. Getter1

Getter1 Active Member

Shot from the back.

Attached Files:

14. Getter1

Getter1 Active Member

Attached Files:

15. Getter1

Getter1 Active Member

Probably one of the toughest sections of the nose area, the gun channel.

Attached Files:

16. Rick Thomson

Rick Thomson Member

Looking good so far Getter.

I rather like the Grippen, and thought that the Canadian Air Force should have looked at getting the licence to build them as a replacement for our now rather long in the tooth Hornets (do hornets have teeth?), after all if it was designed to work in the Swedish Climate, it should be pretty much at home in ours.
  17. yaniv

yaniv Active Member

i just recive this model for my email i going to start it tommarow but any one can help me scale it up for 1/48 or 1/33?

getter your work looks realy nice & clean

i will post some pic tommarow :)
  18. Bengt F

Bengt F Active Member

JAS-39 Gripen Attack Jet Fighter Model by Gabriel Panait

Hi yaniv,

Here´s what I did:
    I converted the PDF file to JPG (in Photoshop). That way, I had better control of the colours in my A3 printer.

If you have access to Photoshop, you can divide up the parts, if you like to, and arrange them so that the grain of the printing card runs along your folds and curves, for an easier and better-looking build.
    I use photo paper that has a weight of roughly 160 - 165 grams/m myself.

Good luck,
  19. yaniv

yaniv Active Member

thanks bemgt but i not have a a3 print

i think i just edit and zoom th eparts on the regular a4 :)
  20. Bengt F

Bengt F Active Member

JAS-39 'Gripen' Attack Jet Fighter Model by Gabriel Panait

Hi again, yaniv,

Sure - you can use an A4 printer just as well. No problemo.
    A person I know who does this with very professional results is Leif Oh (he is a Swede, too, I´m proud to say, a member of this forum and also a link to our sister forum Kartonbau.de in Germany).

If you are really interested in this opportunity and the best advice possible, I suggest that you PM either him or 46rob in this forum (my very good friend Rob Carleen, from Pensacola, in the US).