looking for Pueblo Structures

JOJOLINO

Feb 17, 2002
Visit site
Hi all,

I'm a german who like US model railroading.
I work on a ATSF/BNSF and UP layout.
I like the New Mexico architekture with pueblo-style buildings like the ones in the town of Sante Fe.
I can't find any manufactur where i can get some structures.
Only Helijan has a Spanish station in the sortiment.
Is there anyone who can tell me where i can get those struktures?

Please excuse my very bad english, i hope there are people who can understand me?

JOJOLINO

Vic

Feb 1, 2002
Columbus GA
Visit site
JoJo, I seem to recall that there was an article in the Narrow Gauge and Short Line Gazette a couple of years ago on building the pebulo type southwestern structures. The article was written by Lane Stewart.

You might want to try researching this at www. trains.com and use the magazine index there to find which issue(s) it was in. Sorry I can't give you more precise information but hopefully this will be a start on what you are looking for.

Take care...Vic:)

Drew1125

Jan 28, 2001
I saw a similar article in MR also...maybe a couple of years ago.
The guy was taking ordinary brick structures, & painting on a layer of hydrocal, or plaster of paris. A neat feature of this was that in some places he was chipping the plaster away, revealing weathered brick underneath. I think the article was by Gary Hoover...You could find him in the same index mentioned above.

JOJOLINO

Feb 17, 2002
Visit site
Thanks

guys, I know the article, Charlie means.
In MR October 2000 there was an article from Gary Hoover and this article inspires me to build a scenery like this.
There are structures made from Rail Blazer Kits, but this i can't find in the web?
Also there are Palm trees from AMSI i can't find too.

The other article I think I can find (no time at the moment to search)

roryglasgow

Jun 3, 2001
Huntsville, TX USA
web.wt.net
Jojolino,

Check out www.model-trees.com. They have some awesome looking (although expensive) palm trees. They also have some other very nice looking trees, as well, including realistic pines.

Shamus uses plastic fern fronds to model some of his tall pines. Maybe you could use something like that for palm fronds...

-Rory

Drew1125

Jan 28, 2001
Feathers...painted, or dyed green, make pretty convincing palms.
As for a source...you might try a crafts store(?)

JOJOLINO

Feb 17, 2002
Visit site
Thank you for your tips and links

the idea with the Feathers.... I think that can be a good way. I'll try it.

And the struktures?
The only way is to scratchbuild them?

billk

Jun 12, 2001
Marion, IA, USA
Jojolino -
Maybe I missed it, but what scale are you using? You might have more luck posting under either that scale, or "Technical Q & A", than here (this one's supposed to be for the real thing!) - maybe more people will read it?

Sounds like Charlie has a good idea - if you find a structure that looks right except it's not adobe, just put a layer of plaster over it!

JOJOLINO

Feb 17, 2002
Visit site
billk

Oh, you are right, i will post my question in the right section of this forum. You can see, my english is a disaster, that's my problem, but in Germany are not enought people who have interests in US-Model Railroading.

Thank you!

ÄHHH I use H0 scale

kettlestack

Jan 18, 2002
Scotland UK
Visit site
Hello Jo,
I can't help you on the pueblo structures but.........
about Palm Trees..... Think back to Weihnachten! ... remember all the stores with their displays of Nativity scenes?? If I recall correctly when I was in Aachen there were at least 30 stores with such displays and I'm sure they had palm trees of different sizes in plastic or other materials! Voilla !!!:D

Another possibility is to find models ascociated with the Afrika Corps they might produce acceptable palm trees.
Well, I thought it was worth a try :)

Good luck my friend.

Errol

Drew1125

Jan 28, 2001
JOJOLINO,
I found some palm trees in the Walthers HO Catalog...
By Preiser - Item #590-18600 (4 trees for $14.99...OUCH!!:eek: )
BY Plastruct - Items #570-94061-67 (ranging in price from $7.50-$18.95, depending on size) All prices are U.S. $
look for them at
www.walthers.com

If I were you, I'd build my own. :)

Bob Collins

Feb 1, 2001
Council Bluffs, IA
Visit site
JOJOLIND

Can't help but wonder if you have ever visited the model railroad layout in the Deutsches Museum in Munchen? It had no scenery when I saw it years ago, but it is (was) one of the most extensive layouts in the world.

And, of course, where in Germany do you live?

Bob

Bob Collins

Feb 1, 2001
Council Bluffs, IA
Visit site
I just wondered if you had ever visited the museum in Munich, which, when I lived in Germany late in the 1970's was said to be one of the largest model railroad displays in Europe.

I will look at the websites.

Danke

Bob

77railer

Dec 11, 2004
South Carolina
JOJOLINO Im not sure if you are still looking for structures but in the February Railroad Model Crafstman there is an ad on page 38 for adobe structures which could easily be converted to what you are mentioning...if Im reading right.
The company is
Rail Blazers
7160 E. Quail Run
Tucson, AZ 85715

Im not even sure if they are still in business and there is no phone number listed. Hope this helps.

77Railer
Old And Dusty

Russ Bellinis

Feb 13, 2003
Lakewood, Ca.
Visit site
I think those pueblo style structures would be fairly easy to build from scratch with styrene. The prototypes were originally made with adobe, the new stuff would be smooth stucco. I think they would have a sort of spanish tile cornish around a flat roof. If you can find pictures of prototypes that you could model you can probably get what you need to build them. I think Helgan (spelling?) made spanish tile sheets in styrene. I just entered "Southwest architecture" in Google and found a bunch of sites with pictures.