Looking for opinions from operators and experts

jasonboche

Jan 29, 2003
Visit site
Shown in the drawing below is my track plan as it is currently constructed. I question the switching area in the YELLOW area. During switching operations in the YELLOW area, I think one or more run-arounds will be necessary. I've got areas on the layout where I can perform runarounds. These areas for runarounds are in BLUE. My question is, from an operations perspective, are my runaround areas too far away from the yellow switching area and inconvenient? Should I install a few turnouts in the RED area to perform runarounds?

I've ridden along with a local railroad in my hometown and based on what I've seen, the runaround areas are not conveniently placed near the industries. I believe it is the job of the conductor to make sure the rolling stock is in order, utilizing the runarounds, before the train travels to the industries to perform the switching. I would have no problem operating the layout in this fashion because it is prototypical, however, seasoned operators may tell me it's really a pain in the butt?

Thoughts from operators?

Thank you,
Jas

runaround.gif

Russ Bellinis

Feb 13, 2003
Lakewood, Ca.
Visit site
I think it depends on how many operators are working the railroad. If you are running it alone, I see no problem with blocking the cars for switching in the existing run around track. You will then probably have the engine in the middle of the train. If you have multiple operators in an operating session, I can see the potential for having the mainline jammed.

jasonboche

Jan 29, 2003
Visit site
I agree that there could be a slight mainline jam but I would be accepting of that. Many times on the prototype, mainlines are not clear causing mainline traffic to stop to wait for an all clear signal. If I wanted to design the mainlines so that they could run continuously around in a circle with no interruption, I wouldn't need any mainline operators. Plus, I've been told that running around in a constant circle can be boring. Occassionaly clogging up the main with local switching traffic could make for interesting scenarios.

Thanks,
Jas

CN1

May 6, 2003
My opinion: It looks good.

Keep in mind you are building a layout for YOURSELF. So if it does look good for you, take it.

Cheers

shaygetz

May 2, 2003
www.freewebs.com
Reality is not convenient, leave it alone and make your yard goats earn their keep. It'll keep them shiney new SD70MAC operators on their toes too.

jon-monon

Aug 15, 2002
Cobblers Knob, IN
www.2guyzandsumtrains.com
Hi Jason, and welcome to the gauge!!!

You don't want to foul the main with yard activities because it violates one of The Ten Commandments (of yard design, that is :D :D :D )

Seriously, you should go to the link if you want to understand why you shouldn't fould the main, and many other concepts behind a functioning switching yard. It's also important to understand, unless you want the yard to be the layout, most folks won't have room to impliment all aspects of this article. Good reading!

Greg Elems

Dec 19, 2002
Reno Nevada
Visit site
In reality speak, leave it alone. Here in Sparks Nevada, we often have to shove cars to and from industries from the yard. Some of the distances can be over a couple miles. Often, we leave the yard with cars on both ends of the engine and a crew man riding the point. The reason being, no convenient run-arounds. Some times it makes it easier to switch the cars when we get back to the yard. Nice layout plan by the way.

Greg

pjb

Dec 21, 2000
Visit site
Dimensions and elevations

What are the overall dimensions of this layout? Are there changes in elevation? What is going on? I.E. is it a switching district? Or some complete line( Division, or other part of a Class 1 ) with passenger trains and through freights to staging?

Is their hidden or other staging not indicated on this given chart ?
Is this an urban place, or massive industrial complex ? The loops out and back are there because you like continuous runs, correct?
What you are doing and the space you are doing it in are germane to defining the utility or lack of it , of a given element in the plot. The dimensions of the equipment you intend to use, and the numbers of cars that will appear in your trains are also part of any issues with respect to whether or not "IT" works.
Good-Luck, PJBr