Looking for New Models for EAA Museum Exhibit

Discussion in 'General Card Modeling' started by sakrison, Jun 19, 2007.

1. sakrison

sakrison Member

I was at the EAA Museum in Oshkosh, WI yesterday (more on that trip later). Curator of Exhibits Alan Westby told me, "People spend as much time looking at this [paper model] exhibit as any other exhibit in the museum. They are fascinated by the paper models." That's saying a lot--this museum is loaded with fascinating exhibits!

I'm working with Alan and some other modelers on ideas for expanding the exhibit and making it more dymanic. More on that as things develop.

In the meantime, I'd like to get a dozen or so new models in the exhibit to keep it fresh. The deadline is short (I apologize for that). I want to get the new models in the exhibit before the AirVenture convention, July 23-29, when a quarter of a million visitors will pass through the museum.

In particular, I'm looking for high-quality builds of any of the following from Fiddlers Green: Bowers Fly-Baby, Ercoupe, Stearman Kaydet, Beaver, Pawnee, Sikorsky S-39, Suglug Primary Glider, Antoinnette, Bleriot, Skytruck, or Flying Flea.

If anyone knows of a paper model of an ultralight or microlight, I'd be interested in that. And I'll consider any good-quality build of a fixed wing Warbird, racer, or lightplane from any kit publisher and any era. Scale can be anything up to 1/33. (Bombers, airliners, and such have to smaller to fit in the case.)

I can't promise that your models will be returned to you. Most likely, they will become the property of the EAA Museum. But they will be exhibited in a world-class museum and you will be given credit in the exhibit.

If you have a model to submit, please send photos to me at sakrison@charter.net, with information about the model. If I want it for the display, I'll email you shipping instructions.

If you want to build a model, let me know--I'll try to save you from duplicating someone else's effort.

Alan Westby wants to keep the paper models exhibit in the museum. I want to help him keep it fresh. It's a golden opportunity to showcase our hobby to a huge audience of aeromaniacs.

No worries,
  2. cgutzmer

cgutzmer Guest

Well the only plane I have built that I think would be worthy got shipped off to france and I dont t hink my father in law wants to give it back ;)
  3. -Jim G

-Jim G Member

I volunteer to build you a Beaver...
    -Jim G
  4. Bowdenja

Bowdenja Active Member

Carl............. Carl! Ted......... Ted!

If you want good looking models that's about the best I can do!:grin:

This is very, very COOL! You are right saying this is an excellent chance to showcase our hobby. It would be neat to showcase some of the other areas of interest this hobby can do.......... ships, cars, AFVs.......etc After the Big Show would it be possible to have some models of these other areas on display?

I know EEA means airplanes, but showing the diversity of this hobby could be a draw too! Just an idea for after the Big Show.

Jim G's DH Beaver would be a fine example to show. AND maybe ( I'd be willing to bet on it)......... if you ask Jim he might allow a Beaver to be given away or even be used as basers for a building competition....... you know Build a Beaver!

Heck I would even offer to print and send copies to be given away. What do you think Jim?

I just finished a Kaydet, but it ain't good enough for display. Maybe I can do better.
  5. -Jim G

-Jim G Member

Instead of letting them give away a free model, I would offer to let the EAA Museum sell the DHC-2 Beaver model with all proceeds going to their benefit. This is the same deal that I have already started with various Canadian air museums.

When you give something away for free most people don't value it... when you sell it to them at a reasonable cost, they think it is a good value. I think that would do our hobby the most good.

I think the Beaver is a good 'starter' model for a newbie ... I hope that David can entice one of the excellent builders in this forum to part with one (or more) of the fantastic models that I have seen here.

-Jim G
  6. Bowdenja

Bowdenja Active Member

Better idea........... I like that idea better........... I knew you would come up with something.

I think the EEA would jump on that chance like a chicken on a june bug!

Especially since the Beaver is right up their alley!

7. Fishcarver

Fishcarver Active Member

David: Count me in, and feel free to assign me anything that you'd like.
    Personally, I'd like to take on that ORLIK Shinden that you had trouble with, ot the Kamov Autogyro....

I've replied to your PM as well.
  8. sakrison

sakrison Member

I believe EAA had a similar arrangement with its annual art competition. At any rate, I'm sure the Museum Director would welcome that idea. The entries on display could be sold by silent auction during the convention or at one of the special events the museum holds throughout the year. I'll pitch that idea to the director when our plans have gelled a bit more.
  9. alaimo@jcu.edu

alaimo@jcu.edu I need a Pin up girl. . .

there is a good dirty joke in the above thread. . .