1. Ladies & gentlemen, I would like to announce that there is a new photo gallery section. You can create your own personal photo gallery (to include setting up your own albums). You can even post videos. You can also post and share photos in the galleries of others (if that person allows such), as well . ENJOY!!!

looking for.. layout of Conway yards

Discussion in 'Track Planning' started by 13Mtrainer, Oct 18, 2004.

1. 13Mtrainer

13Mtrainer Member

i am looking for a layout or pic of all of the conway yard in pittsburg if anyone has a info on it please let me know.
  2. trainwhiz20

trainwhiz20 Member

Hey 13M,

With a few web searches, I turned up the following on Conway Yard in Pittsburgh, PA.

http://kc.pennsyrr.com/art/images/1958.jpeg

^ This is a artist's picture of the yard, circe 1950's. From what I can see, looks like any other railyard during the Pennsy area.

As you may know, the PRR merged with the NYC, hence PennCentral. Eventually, PennCentral joined four other Northeast RR's to form Conrail. Conrail now owns the yard today.

I, personally, couldn't find a map of the yard, or any detailed photos. I did find:

http://www.dementia.org/~patrick/images/Conwaybldg.jpg

^ The yard building, from 1995.

www.trainweb.org/ eastpenn/cleve.html

^ A site with some UP and Conrail freight locos at Conway.

Hope this helps! :thumb:
  3. Muddy Creek

Muddy Creek Member

Here's a link to the Terraserver site. What looks like an aerial photo of a rail yard on the right side of the river is the rail yard. Click on it to zoom in and use the pan function to move around. It's not too clear but you'll get an idea of the layout.

Wayne
  4. 13Mtrainer

13Mtrainer Member

cool thanks a lot guys. i am from pittsburg and from what i hear in the 60's and 70's it was the largest push button yard in the us!
  5. Chessie6459

Chessie6459 Gauge Oldtimer

6. railohio

railohio Active Member

Conrail produced some really good color coded maps of the yards right before its demise. You might want to look around at train shows to see if you can buy a copy. I know they are pretty rare so I'm loathe to sell or loan mine.
  7. SAL Comet

SAL Comet Member

WOW, I don't think you could model that in HO on a football field. It would be fun to try though.
  8. MJAMES

MJAMES New Member

9. radar

radar Member

jawdrop Chessie 6459 thanks for the pics links now when I put a shed over the north 40 I can have a track plan!