Looking for inspiration

barney121e

Feb 25, 2008
Edinburgh, Scotland
Hi All

Am new to the site and looking for some more help. Have found a site called mikes small trackplans, but wondering if people knew of any other sites with small track plans as only have a size of 1.8m by 0.9m availiable.

Cheers

Dave

rogerw

Jun 16, 2006
manhattan ks
Welcome Dave . I am modeling HO but have seen this topic come up before. Its early morning here so people waking up and im sure you will get lots of help

barney121e

Feb 25, 2008
Edinburgh, Scotland
Structure

Hi

Thanks for the details, they all look good so plenty of inspiration there. I have found some makers of structures, walthers, dpm but wonder if you can recommend any others.

Cheers

Triplex

Aug 24, 2005
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Have found a site called mikes small trackplans, but wondering if people knew of any other sites with small track plans as only have a size of 1.8m by 0.9m availiable.
3x6 feet. I'd suggest taking a 2x4 plan (like many of Mike's) and scaling up by 50%. The 9.75" and 11" curves can be replaced by 15" and 16.25" (or similar values) and #4 turnouts replaced with #6s.

Biased turkey

Apr 10, 2006
Montreal, Canada Eh
Triplex has a very important ( and underestimated ) point in favor of N scale here: Even if you have enough space for a standard 4' X 8' HO layout ( unfortunately it's not even my case ) build that layout in N scale and suddenly those sharp HO curves will look majestic and you'll be able to run long trains .

Jacques

Biased turkey

Apr 10, 2006
Montreal, Canada Eh
Hi

Thanks for the details, they all look good so plenty of inspiration there. I have found some makers of structures, walthers, dpm but wonder if you can recommend any others.

Cheers

Atlas has good detailed residential structures, such as
Atlas N Scale Barb’s Bungalow
Atlas N Kate's Colonial Home

Model power has some interesting industrial buildings:
ACCESSORIES- ALL SCALES - N SCALE - Building Kits

Walthers and DPM have some good modular industrial buildings

Walthers has some trackside structures:
Walthers Model Railroad Mall -- product information page for 933-2600

American Model Builders has some laser cut wood kits.

Jacques

barney121e

Feb 25, 2008
Edinburgh, Scotland
Have looked at mike small layout plans and brought a book called 'Basic Model Railroad track plans' which has 4x8 HO plans which i can reduce to N gauge. Two have caught my eye, Kootenay Lake and Madison Central, so i think with some minor adjustments i think i have a track plan.