Looking for inspiration

Discussion in 'N / Z Scale Model Trains' started by barney121e, Feb 26, 2008.

1. barney121e

barney121e New Member

Hi All

Am new to the site and looking for some more help. Have found a site called mikes small trackplans, but wondering if people knew of any other sites with small track plans as only have a size of 1.8m by 0.9m availiable.

2. rogerw

rogerw Active Member

Welcome Dave . I am modeling HO but have seen this topic come up before. Its early morning here so people waking up and im sure you will get lots of help
  3. Nomad

Nomad Active Member

Dave, there's hundreds of trackplans on the web. Mikes is one of the best. Here's another one.
    All-Gauge Model Railroading Page
    At first it looks like large gauge, but scroll down.

4. MasonJar

MasonJar It's not rocket surgery

Google "carl arendt" as well...

5. barney121e

barney121e New Member

Thanks for the details, they all look good so plenty of inspiration there. I have found some makers of structures, walthers, dpm but wonder if you can recommend any others.

6. 60103

60103 Pooh Bah

Barney: are you looking for North American, British, or something really foreign? :p

There's a shop down the Leith Walk that makes Scotch buildings and details.
    Walthers carries a large number of lines.
  7. barney121e

barney121e New Member

I'm after north american kits. I want to do a north american layout to go with the japanese one i am working on.
  8. Biased turkey

Biased turkey Active Member

9. barney121e

barney121e New Member

Thanks for all the layout sites, have one or two in my mind now. Just wondering what kits you all use on your layouts.

10. Triplex

Triplex Active Member

3x6 feet. I'd suggest taking a 2x4 plan (like many of Mike's) and scaling up by 50%. The 9.75" and 11" curves can be replaced by 15" and 16.25" (or similar values) and #4 turnouts replaced with #6s.
  11. Biased turkey

Triplex has a very important ( and underestimated ) point in favor of N scale here: Even if you have enough space for a standard 4' X 8' HO layout ( unfortunately it's not even my case ) build that layout in N scale and suddenly those sharp HO curves will look majestic and you'll be able to run long trains .

12. Biased turkey

Atlas has good detailed residential structures, such as
    Atlas N Scale Barb’s Bungalow
    Atlas N Kate's Colonial Home

Model power has some interesting industrial buildings:

Walthers and DPM have some good modular industrial buildings

Walthers has some trackside structures:
    Walthers Model Railroad Mall -- product information page for 933-2600

American Model Builders has some laser cut wood kits.

13. Pitchwife

Pitchwife Dreamer

I would recommend a trip to your LHS and pick up a copy of Walther's N&Z product guide. Then you can see a great deal of what is available and what will fit into your ideas of what you want on your layout.
  14. barney121e

barney121e New Member

Have looked at mike small layout plans and brought a book called 'Basic Model Railroad track plans' which has 4x8 HO plans which i can reduce to N gauge. Two have caught my eye, Kootenay Lake and Madison Central, so i think with some minor adjustments i think i have a track plan.