Looking for ideas

Discussion in 'N / Z Scale Model Trains' started by jerobins, Jul 26, 2007.

1. jerobins

jerobins New Member

Happy with town and water so far. Looking for ideas in the area behind depot and to right by spur. Campground, trailer park maybe. What do you think?

Attached Files:

2. umtrr-author

umtrr-author Member

I can't quite tell from the photo but I think there needs to be a road (maybe gravel or dirt) to the station from the main road.

I would have suggested "beach" but it looks like there already is one!

There's nothing wrong with leaving some "white space" on a layout. I would add a fairly large number of trees to the area as a bit of a divide and to draw attention back to the more developed areas of the layout.
  3. jerobins

jerobins New Member

A road is in the plan, just haven’t placed one yet. Beach area by town may be turned into a cove for boat docking. Thanks for the ideas. I like the tree and beach concept.:thumb:
  4. MasonJar

MasonJar It's not rocket surgery

Are you looking to add something to the operations?

If yes, then that's a "right nice siding" you got there. I can't tell exactly your timeframe, but judging from the loco, it looks like 1950s? Then perhaps a small-town coal and fuel oil dealer, a team track, and a scrap yard, all on the one siding...! ;)

If you're looking more for scenic options, then how about a "war memorial park" (complete with cannon), road & parking for the station, and/or community park with bandstand and dock for rowboats.

5. jerobins

jerobins New Member

Good thinking. Keep the ideas coming. By the way, the depot is just temporary, as I have not decided exactly where I would like it. Here is a older longer shot of the layout. There is a large open spot just out of the photo also on the right.

Attached Files:

6. Biased turkey

Biased turkey Active Member

I agree, a road leading to the station and a teamtrack on the spur wouldn't hurt.
    Next to the lake you could install a "thirsty" industry: papermill or brewery for example but you would have to create an extra spur to that industry.
  7. Dave R.

Dave R. Member

I think the trailer/camping-park would be nice. I've thought about doing the Tee-pee shaped motel tourist trap/park when I can; if you want to scratch something easy.
    Is that your "hurricane simulator", center, background? ;0)