Looking for help from you New York Central guys

Urloony

Dec 30, 2004
I'm looking for a good color match for New York Central Diesel F units with the lightning bolt scheme. I have the decals taken care of but still trying to determine the best match for the overall gray. Any recomendations would be great. Thanks

Urloony

Dec 30, 2004
Thanks for the response. I guess the problem I'm having is selecting the right shade of gray. Most of you guys are probably thinking "just paint it gray darn it." However, I normally model New Haven and as most of you guys may know the colors out there especially 401 green and warm orange are WAY wrong by most companies so I want to be sure of using a shade that will stand up to scrutiny. blah blah blah... anyway, I have yet to find a major line of scale paints that Identify a NYC gray. The Modelflex line doesn't produce a NYC gray either. The shade of gray in your photo seems close do you know which modelflex gray he used. Sorry to be so anal... :)

XavierJ123

Dec 17, 2004
Lexington, Kentucky
I don't know if this will help, but you might try custom mixing your own acrylics and air brushing some samples first. A little dab of black and a whole lot of white equals gray--or is that grey?

Urloony

Dec 30, 2004
I'll take a look at the modelflex. I did find scalecoat offers two NYC grays so I'll give those a try as well. I've never liked mixing my own paint because if I decide to paint a second loco later I wont get the same shade.