Looking for an unusual layout industry?

papasmurf37

Feb 23, 2003
NH
Visit site
HI ALL AND HAPPY NEW YEAR!
Just thought I'd mention one of my favorite unique industries to consider:
Fire truck repair and restoration facility.
Spur runs past suitable building at rear[if desired, spur could split and branch enter building with large roll-up door]. Track has an end-ramp so trucks can be unloaded/loaded off/on flatcars[don't forget tie-downs/wheel chocks on loaded trucks]. Boxcars would also spot here, bringing needed supplies of all sorts, which could be off-loaded by forklift. Parking lot on property with 3 or 4 pieces of fire apparatus parked. One could be a damaged unit with a tarp covering it. Main building could have main entrance/office at one end with some parking spaces for employee vehicles with driveway to main gate and road. A well tended lawn could be around entry with flag pole and even an ancient fire truck, mounted on concrete base, as a trademark.
Just remember to match age of your trucks with era of your pike[we're in transition era so trucks would not be modern type]. Our premise is that we can repair/restore all years/makes and do lots of work for volunteer departments[remember department names/truck # on vehicle doors] We will also have chain-link fence around entire area with suitable gates. Food for thought.....

CalFlash

Oct 31, 2004
central Florida
Happy New Year Tom and all. An industry that always intreagued me was an RV manufacturer. Receives "cab and chassis" trucks and vans to convert. I used to quite often see blocks of auto racks loaded with such a cargo headed for where I did not know.

Russ Bellinis

Feb 13, 2003
Lakewood, Ca.
Visit site
CalFlash said:
Happy New Year Tom and all. An industry that always intreagued me was an RV manufacturer. Receives "cab and chassis" trucks and vans to convert. I used to quite often see blocks of auto racks loaded with such a cargo headed for where I did not know.

Judging by the number of factories Fleetwood has in and around Riverside, Ca, the cab & chasis you saw may have been headed to So Cal.