Looking For A Font

Cannonball

More Trains Than Brains
Dec 4, 2006
St. Joseph, MO
I need a font to match this one to fix up an old Norfolk and Western hopper. I've spent the evening sifting though bunches and none seem quite right. Any help would be appreciated.

Attachments

• NandW01.jpg
    NandW01.jpg
    25.2 KB · Views: 73

cnw1961

Jan 7, 2006
Germany
Yeah, you are right. It’s often difficult to find the perfect match. I searched through my fonts and could not find the right one. Even if the N and W are close, the & is totally wrong. Perhaps N&W did not even use a common font or they modified some characters for their use. If I need a few characters of a font and can’t find the right font, I draw them with a program like CorelDraw. It only takes a few minutes. Take the best picture you can find and copy it into the program. Now you can easily draw along the edge of the characters to get a perfect copy. If you have problems doing it, send me a good picture of the N&W characters and I will do it for you. Sometimes it’s much easier than trying to find the right font.

cnw1961

Jan 7, 2006
Germany
HOtrainman, sorry to say, that he can’t use the font of his sig. It is a Roman type. The kind of font with these big serifs he is looking for, is called Egyptienne or Slab Serif. I have some fonts like that in my font collection, but the & is always wrong.

Cannonball

More Trains Than Brains
Dec 4, 2006
St. Joseph, MO
cnw1961 said:
HOtrainman, sorry to say, that he can’t use the font of his sig. It is a Roman type. The kind of font with these big serifs he is looking for, is called Egyptienne or Slab Serif. I have some fonts like that in my font collection, but the & is always wrong.
I can find an & that will work if I can find the N and the W. It might not be exact but I've got a few that are pretty close for that one. It's just matching the serifs that's difficult.

cnw1961

Jan 7, 2006
Germany
Here is what I have on offer. I may find some more, if I am digging really deep. If you like any of these (I think Aachen is the best match), send me a PM with your e-mail address and I will send you the font.

View attachment 34802

Attachments

• fonts.jpg
    fonts.jpg
    55.9 KB · Views: 46

cnw1961

Jan 7, 2006
Germany
Russ, a dealer over here in Germany has pictures of all the Woodland alphabets on his website. I looked it up, but Woodland only offers Roman and Gothic alphabets, no Egyptienne (Slab Serif).