Looking for a connecting route.

Discussion in 'Getting Started' started by Wabash Banks, Sep 7, 2005.

1. Wabash Banks

Wabash Banks Member

The little shortline I am building needs to have a connecting route. I am going to model that, but I wanted to see if there was anyone modeling near the area near southern Indiana that would be interested in serving as the connecting route to the outside world.
    I thought it might be fun to have some cross traffic and lead to a more robust history.
    I have not nailed down the location yet, and as it is freelance based on proto, I can put it pretty much anywhere I need to. The era is the 1940's. A decade either side works well also.
  2. N Gauger

N Gauger 1:20.3 Train Addict

3. Wabash Banks

Wabash Banks Member

I tried that already. I didn't have my member number in my sig line, but it is there now.

I posted on the forum but that isn't exactly a hot bed of activity there...
    I have stumbled across a good suggestion though and plan to use it instead.
    Thanks for the suggestion on the NARA though!
  4. Catt

Catt Guest

How close to Elkhart does your little railroad come?The Grande Valley is Michigan based but it's southern terminus is a Joint yard facility shared with Norfolk Southern.

The northern terminus is Petosky,Mich.,while the eastern end is Port Huron,MI /Sarnia,Ontario,Canada.
  5. Wabash Banks

Wabash Banks Member

I am south of the Bloominton area so I can make the scenery fit.

The idea I am going with though is traffic to and from other routes instead of actually connecting to one. I will connect to Pennsy probably.

What industries do you have on your layout? Maybe I can supply something to your road, or use something made by your road.
  6. Catt

Catt Guest

The GVR hauls appliances,autoparts,& furniture of all kinds.We also haul big truck pieces,parts as well as completed semi tractors and cab/chassis for the US division of MATT Trucks (named for my friend Robin Matthysen).

I see one small problem though the GVR is set in the present and your post reads like the lastest date for your road is before mine exists.
  7. Mike B

Mike B New Member

The Monon formed an "X" across the state, went through Bloomington on it's way to Louisville.
    My "N" scale layout reflects the "Flavour" of the Monon, first generation Deisel (1947-saw the Monon fully converted)-loosely based on the prototype.

There is considerable "stuff" available on the web-
    "Bygone places along the Monon", as well as the official Monon Historical Society.

Atlas offered Fairbanks morse H15-44's (#45 & 46) both in HO and N. I also re-painted a Kato RS-2 in the Monon Black and Gold. Rolling stock, especially boxcars is available as well.
  8. ross31r

ross31r Member

so how do you find out where some of the NARA roads without websites end?

Want one for the ESE to connect to!
  9. Mike B

Mike B New Member

Why at the End?

The Monon, for instance had numerous connections with numerous lines all along its road.
  10. Mike B

Mike B New Member

Traction Connection

The Monon made connections with the "Chicago, South Bend, and South Shore Railroad" - A Traction line that also ran some deisels- ran both Passenger and freight, and connected with the Monon at Michigan City, Indiana.
  11. ross31r

ross31r Member

ah yes but i am all the way up in New England! And i want to know where they end because mine is set in a fictional county (East Surrey) in NEw Engalnd so i need to have a rough idea of where i would be "connecting" to in the R/W
  12. Wabash Banks

Wabash Banks Member

That is correct Catt, I am set in the 40's. I thank you very much for the thought though.

Mike B, that sounds like an interesting road!
    My road will take the following things currently:
    Supplies to make furniture
    Hardware supplies including farm machinery parts (including the occaisonal tractor and plow)
    Fuel oil

I produce furniture on the current layout. This is a micro that I am building. When it is done I plan on starting on a mini layout that will serve as a hub. I will then have some passenger traffic. I will also have a large farm on the layout that will produce considerable livestock. With the farm location being pretty close, a dairy has opened that produces cheese. The layout will also have a couple other visible stores/industries that are yet to be determined, but will require supplies.

If your road does any of this please let me know!
    Since you are in N scale, I am open to creating a few cars from my road if you are interested in trading.
  13. Mike B

Mike B New Member

Bridge Line

The Monon was a Bridge line, providing connections from one rail to another. The C&O, B&O, and NYC, for instance, used the Michigan City yard to drop off freight bound for southern railways in Louisville, - Southern, L&N, and others. This saved them the Hassle of delivering into congested Chicago.

The same could be said for it's Hammond, IN yard, with it's connection to Chicago.

This means, that lots of different freight cars were moved on the monon, those listed, but also Nickle Plate, Milwaukee, IC, ATSF, GT,and others.

I don't have enough stock to trade, but you can find boxcars on Ebay.
  14. Mike B

Mike B New Member

Bridge Line continued

Sorry, I had to post my last before i was really ready - had a small emergency.
    Anyway, A monon loco and caboose could be delivering just about anything to your short line-in just about any road's freight car-due to it's very nature as a bridge line. Could easily deliver your fuels out of Northern Indiana refineries, could deliver your tractors, etc, haul away grain, and deliver feed, lumber, hardware, etc. A few Monon boxcars thrown in-maybe the feed from feed mills, or to haul the grain(yes-boxcars!)-and you have a connection fromyour shortline to the rest of the world.
  15. HoosierDaddy

HoosierDaddy Member

The attached link has a connections map for the Monon. Should give you plenty of connecting roads to work with. If your modeling southern Indiana in the 40's and 50's, then shipping slabs and blocks of limestone would also be accurate. http://mononrr.com/mpages/pages/conmap.html

16. Wabash Banks

Wabash Banks Member

That is a very helpful link indeed! Thank you!