Looking for 1:1700 TOS Enterprise

Discussion in 'Dream Kits & Wish Lists' started by sidewinder81777, May 2, 2009.

1. sidewinder81777

sidewinder81777 Midnight Modeler

I have heard there is one or more available but ill be danged if i can find it anywhere. currently am building Ron Caudillo's excellent 1:720 enterprise but looking for a 1:1700 to be to scale with my other upcoming projects
  2. Ron Caudillo

Ron Caudillo Creative Advisory Consultant Moderator

Hey Sidewinder,
    Thanks for the interest in building my Enterprise model.

By my calculations, if you reduce the 1:730 printing output to 20.59%, this will give you the desired scale you want. To the community, please correct me if I am wrong!

Just for grins, I reduced this model to 50% (which will yield 1:700 scale) and printed it on 35 lb. paper, but I haven't built it yet. I figured this paper would allow me to form the parts without too much trouble, yet not be as flimsy as plain old 20 lb. copy paper for this size.

If you manage to pull this off, I would love see how this turns out! You should get a finished size of about 1.5 inches wide by about 2 inches long. A very small build indeed!

Best Regards,
  3. sidewinder81777

Hey Ron thanks. actually i ran the conversion through scalecalc and it said reduce to 42.35% to get 1:1700. I know my 1:1700 enterprise-A has a saucer width of 3 inches on the dot. the 20.59% would be a really really small build. dont quite think im up to that yet only been cardmodeling for a week or so. have been doing origami for years though so i do have some background in working with paper anyway and have done modeling in other mediums. Once again though i cant say enough good things about your model. very well thought out and great instructions! I look forward to more.
  4. cmags

cmags Guest

Yup, 42.35% is the right conversion. Not sure where Ron got his number - it would come out to 1:3500 scale there. Maybe he has a nice 1:350 version of his model? He did say that reducing 50% gave him the 1:700...

But yea, it has been done before and isn't difficult. I know D-Whale has a 1:1700 fleet and iirc, he used Ron's model. Chippy Chua also has a 1701 model in nearly the same scale. This is the one I built, and is just another option for scaling down.

If you plan to do the 1701-A in 1:1700, check my build thread - I have uploaded an already-scaled and slightly modified copy of the SciFi Paper Gallery version. Also there's another one (is it Ron's too?) out there already in 1:1700, but I think that's painted as a constitution refit of the 1701.
  5. sidewinder81777

Hey cmags actually you 1:1700 enterprise-A is the one im doing :D Ive already done shunichi maniko's so since yours is a mod of it it seems like a natural progression.
    just finishing up zousho's defiant right now. thought id do that tonight as a quick project and also as practice before i do one slightly scaled up to 1:1700 like panzer did (in fact his build thread was hugely helpful for it although i edge glued instead of building in tabs). as for the TOS enterprise i think im gonna try scaling ron's down since i will have already built it full sized.
  6. cmags

cmags Guest

Cool, if you would be so kind as to snap some pics as you build, they'd be quite useful when I go back to do the 1701 in 1:1700. :) Pics of your other builds would be great to see too! Keep it up! :thumb:
  7. D-WHALE

D-WHALE Utopia Planitia Engineer

No, sorry guys! I have not build Ron´s Enterprise! I used Chippy´s for my fleet! But i know a guy, who build Ron´s ENT in 1:1700

C U
  8. Ron Caudillo

Ron Caudillo Creative Advisory Consultant Moderator

Sorry all, my bad for the wrong numbers (math was never my strongest suit); thanks for setting the record straight! I'm sure glad for the mutual support!

Edit: I had accidentally referenced my 1:350 version in the conversion formula which essentially halves the results.

Best Regards,