Lookee what I got

Discussion in 'Getting Started' started by yellowlynn, Jul 29, 2006.

1. yellowlynn

yellowlynn Member

A train set was given to me at a yard sale today. I don't know diddly ziltch about it. It is Lionel, and no numbers anywhere. There were 2 switches, #223 which showed to be made about 1932. The rails are 2 1/4" center to center of outside rails. The loco, 4-4-4, and cars, are 19" long. All the lady wanted, was if I got any info on it, to just let her know. They hung on to it for years just to see if they could find out anything about it.

Attached Files:

2. yellowlynn

yellowlynn Member

different views

Attached Files:

3. yellowlynn

yellowlynn Member

There are 3 cars

Attached Files:

4. hooknlad

hooknlad Member

5. Jim Krause

Jim Krause Active Member

Must be a good day to get free trains. Yours looks like a collectable and despite it's condition, I think you should treat it as such. The older Lionel trains are highly prized by a lot of people. I'll make the same comment to you that I did to the other post. " Might be a good idea to get an appraisal". Incidently. it can be restored by a qualified person.
  6. yellowlynn

yellowlynn Member

It can't be the 385E since it is a 4-4-4. My book is over 20 years old, and has only a few pictures. None of this one I can find. Is that track O gauge , or what. It seems a mite big, but all I know is HO and N.

7. 60103

60103 Pooh Bah

2 1/4" gauge would make it Lionel Standard gauge.
    Not in the potted Lionel history I have. Looks like a larger loco, so possibly scarcer.
    Very definitely do not perform any restoration until you get proper identification.
  8. shaygetz

shaygetz Active Member

Wow, whatta beastie:thumb: All that should be said has been said, certainly looks like all that is necessary to get running is all there...sweet:thumb:
  9. N Gauger

N Gauger 1:20.3 Train Addict

Does this look like it????

CLick above and check to see if the window configuration matches the cars you got :) :) Then see if the auction goes any higher..... I think each car is worth about 70.00 -- the engine might be worth 200/00???
  10. yellowlynn

yellowlynn Member

wrong numbers

I believe that seller is mixed up. His cars are 4 axle, and I believe are number 339 and 341, according to the px in my book. My cars are 6 axle and are picture with the same numbers he is showing. I think mine are 418, 419, and 490. (?????)

11. N Gauger

I have the 339 & 341 and they have the number boards at the bottom on either side of the car name,,... They are different than these
  12. N Gauger

When I id'd these cars I looked at the small windows on either end of the cars ... also the vents at the top of the car roofs (Upper Glass in the prototypes). :D :D
  13. N Gauger

but you're right - unless the trucks were switched at one time... the bodys are the same, but not the trucks (in the link I posted)
  14. eightyeightfan1

eightyeightfan1 Now I'm AMP'd

They may have been rebuilds. Something thrown together with parts from different rolling stock. Even the paint looks too new and doesn'tr even really match.
  15. LoudMusic

LoudMusic Member

That's a restoration process not far from restoring the real thing! ;)
  16. yellowlynn

yellowlynn Member

I asked the seller about whether they were retrucked or not. He said he bought them from a junk dealer, and he, himself, didn't know anything about Lionel. So, we'll never know.
    Mine must be all original because all the rust is the same.sign1

17. brakie

brakie Active Member

Guys,I am not a Lionel collector but,I suspect that set *might*be prewar.Doesn't look like anything I seen from the 50s and 60s.