Look what`s under my body!!(pun)

The photo at the top is of a PRR class P5A 2-C-2 loco built in the early 30s by both Baldwin and the PRR's Altoona shops. The photo could have been taken in either of the two locations, but my guess would be at the Altoona shops of the PRR because of the stage of completion. Although I'm not sure of how much work Baldwin did on this loco, the Altoona shops could build anything...and they just about did. I would suspect that Baldwin did the castings of the foundation and supplied the trucks, Westinghouse or GE supplied the controls and motors, and Altoona put it all together. The other B&W photo is of a PRR class FF2 1-C+C-1 built about the same time and through Baldwin and Altoona. These were freight haulers, but did some passenger service. The possibility of having the crew killed in a grade crossing accident while in passenger service led to the eventual design of the famous GG1. Here's a postcard view of the Westinghouse Machine Co. in East Pittsburg...it'll give you a good idea of what a large erecting shop floor looked like and the size of some of those beeeeeg boxcabs. Right, Chris? :wave:

Attachments

• Westinghouse Main Works.JPG
    Westinghouse Main Works.JPG
    49.6 KB · Views: 108

interurban

Aug 21, 2002
Pickering. Ontario. Canada.
Visit site
Thats a dandy picture :D

Thanks for all the info Russ.
And here are some photo`s to confirm what Russ said concerning Freight :wave:

Attachments

• bvpr104.jpg
    bvpr104.jpg
    16.2 KB · Views: 107
  • bvpr130.jpg
    bvpr130.jpg
    43.8 KB · Views: 104
  • bvpr135.jpg
    bvpr135.jpg
    43.1 KB · Views: 104
  • bvpr241.jpg
    bvpr241.jpg
    28.8 KB · Views: 107

ross31r

Jul 6, 2004
Surrey, United Kingdom
hudsonelectric said:
I posted it because I know that you just HATE boxcabs, right?
nah, boxacbs look soo much better than steeplecabs, much more purposeful! now i have to find some kits to build to add to my lone MDC boxcab kitbash and my kitbashed spectrum doodlebug boxcab.