Look at the SIZE of that thing!

Ralph

Remember...it's for fun!
My wife bought me this 86 foot NYC box car for Christmas! I really like it but wonder what would have been loaded in such a beast. Did large freight cars like this serve special duty or general purposes?
Thanks!
Ralph

Attachments

• boxcar.jpg
    boxcar.jpg
    7.1 KB · Views: 190

MCL_RDG

Uh hem...

...eh? well- uh (how does one do this?)

Ok- let's be frank-

Size does matter! Be a beast you brute!

:eek:

Mark

Pooh Bah
Ralph: to expand upon Catt's entry, they were used for cargo that was large and hollow (or mostly hollow), or in physics terms, low density. With the double doors, probably automobiles.
There is a limit to how much weight can be put on an axle, so really heavy stuff (iron ore, solid steel) tends to be carried in little cars and light stuff in bigger cars.

rockislandmike

The vast, vast majority were used in captive service for the transportation of auto parts. On my 1980 layout, for example, the Ford Fast travels from the east towards their plant in Milipitas CA, exchanging among a variety of railroads, but for my purposes, it flies across the region as MOPAC train from Kansas City, to be exchanged in Pueblo with DRGW to continue west. I'm guessing the other manufacturers had similar trains.

I have six auto parts boxcars already destined for this Ford Fast, *four* of which are the 86' units such as you have: Louisville & Nashville, Missouri Pacific, Detroit Toledo & Ironton, and Chicago & Northwestern (the latter two of which were undecorated and I used oddballs decals).

Here are three of 'em in a pic I did for my parents-in-law (the quad hoppers were bought with Xmas money from them, notice the XP's equal the length of two of 'em almost exactly) . . . . .

smallerfordfasthoppers.jpg

acshrpe

I remember loading that size of boxes. At that time I worked for a company that painted the covers of television sets. All I remember is it seemed to take us forever to load one of those and I could not believe the amount of televisions that the people wanted. No it was not in the time period of b/w sets.

sumpter250

multiscale modelbuilder
Ralph,
As already mentioned, these carried auto parts. Around the Chicago suburbs, these cars are more often seen in trains with covered auto racks.
An auto rack, fully loaded, is still lighter than a hopper full of coal.
Pete

Cool freight cars!

The topic name reminds me of Star Wars when they were approaching the Death Star:
"Look at the SIZE of that thing!" ---"Cut the chatter Red 2." :D