Long ago and far away

Tyson Rayles

The following pictures are from my first attempt at my current layout. They were on a peninsula that was choking up the room. It confirmed my fear that a 9 X 11 room wasn't big enough for something like that so I had to rip it out.:(

Attachments

• old 1.jpg
    old 1.jpg
    35.9 KB · Views: 127

rockislandmike

Very kewl. Did you just repaint all your locos for the new roadname, or start from scratch and set aside the Carolina Western puppies.

Ripped???

You have need to rip these scenes? :eek: What a pity!! They look(ed) wonderful :(
The most I like is the general atmosphere of the scenes (the weedy rocks that form the wall,...) :cool: Really, you have a talent fo this! :)

Tyson Rayles

Thanks Javier, it wasn't a total loss. Some of the buildings will find a home on the new layout as well as some of the trees, etc. The main thing is I learned a lot. Most of all I learned what NOT to do as well as what to do. :D

IMRL393

Looks like WNC to me, Tyson!

To echo the others, good work - and I DO know what it looks like about there, so I know how accurate it is!

Will look forward to seeing your next layout!

Will be some time before anyone sees mine - it just went into boxes for our move next month (all the way from Bettendorf to Davenport). No mountains to model in Iowa (alas), but I do have this river ....

The train room is picked out in the new house !!!

- George

Tyson Rayles

George just because you live in Iowa doesn't mean you have to model Iowa. Good luck with the new train room whatever you do decide to model. All the pictures I've posted lately except for this thread are the new layout.

Drew1125

Fantastic, Tyson!
Just fantastic!:cool: :cool: :cool:
You've really captured the look & feel of the hill country!
I know what you mean about learning what not to do...(that's the story of my LIFE, not just my modeling! :) )
I think any learning process is worth it though, if it gives you a clearer vision, & makes things go better the next time.
I've learned, for instance, that having space for yourself, is just as important as having space for the layout.

Tyson Rayles

Charlie I swear the what not to do is more important then the what to do. Course needing space for yourself is why it got ripped out. But your are right the learning process is well worth it.

sumpter250

multiscale modelbuilder
tyson,
Real happy to see eastern rail in an eastern setting, GREEN everywhere! Tearing that down had to be a hard lesson.
Pete

Tyson Rayles

Well sometimes the hard lessons are the best ones. I really don't regret it, the room is more enjoyable now and the track plan is better. Some of the scenery (out of camera range) would had to have been ripped out and redone anyway. In this hobby you constantly learn new and better ways (really true if you hang around this forum much :D ).