Lombard tractor

Discussion in 'Logging, Mining and Industrial Railroads' started by willy4, Feb 8, 2008.

1. willy4

willy4 Member

While doing research for my logging module I came across an article about hauling logs back in 1900. Pictures of a steam driven tractor. Modeltech Studies makes kits for HO & O, but none for N so I kit bashed one. The first picture is of real one and then my kitbash.

Attached Files:

2. hickstmj

hickstmj Marcie

Very nice work Bill
  3. Nomad

Nomad Active Member

Nicely done:thumb:

4. Uintah Dave

Uintah Dave Member

Nice looking tractor. NG&SL Gazette had an article about those a while back. I always thought they were cool.
  5. Jim Krause

Jim Krause Active Member

Great looking model. Even more so considering that its N scale.
  6. Mountain Man

Mountain Man Active Member

Verrrry nice! :thumb:

In fact, I would rather have yours! :cool:
  7. Art Decko

Art Decko Member

Impressive! Your finishing and weathering is terrific!
  8. beamish

beamish HO & Steam Engineer

Looks good

That halftrack looks pretty good. My father has operated the diesel version of that Lynn Tractor/Truck just like that for many years at a museum in Maniotba. He will enjoy seeing these pics.
  9. willy4

willy4 Member

Thanks guys for the coments. Next project is Lombard Rail Truck.
  10. McGilliCutty

McGilliCutty New Member

So would it take a crew of three to operate that thing? 1 fireman, 1 to operate the running gear and one in the front to steer?
  11. willy4

willy4 Member

Typically, it had a four-man crew engineer, fireman, conducor and steerer.
    A bell rope was provided so the conductor, near the rear, could communicate
    with the front cab.
  12. Glen Haasdyk

Glen Haasdyk Active Member

Very nive model. what did you use for the tracks?
  13. willy4

willy4 Member

I used the tracks from a Backhoe kit made by Railway Express Miniatures kit #
    2161. The water tank is a 1/2" brass tube with furnace tape rolled around it with a pounce wheel on the back side to make rivets. The smoke stack and steam boiler is from an 0-6-0. The frame is 3/32 brass. All the rest are scatch built.

14. Jim Krause

Jim Krause Active Member

Here's some additional info on the Lombard and other similar tractors. See the current issue (#42)of Timber Times magazine. There are several pages of photos.
  15. willy4

willy4 Member

Timber Times

Where can you get Timber Times. I went to my hobby shop, they never heard of it. Do you have to subscribe to it.
    Thanks for the info.
  16. sumpter250

sumpter250 multiscale modelbuilder

Timber Times, is apparently not a high volume sales item, and most hobby shops do not carry it. The one I worked at, until it went into bankruptcy, carried it, which is how I came to be aware of all the good stuff it had. It is a quarterly publication, and the rates depend on location, and choice of mailing, and range from $22.00 for domestic/standard mail, to $47.00 foriegn/air mail.
    You can subscribe. check out Timber Times, Inc.
    Their mailing address is:
    Timber Times
    P.O.Box 219
    Hillsboro, Or 97123

Email: lokie@timnertimes.com
  17. Jim Krause

Jim Krause Active Member

Bill: I subscribe to Timber Times (a quarterly magazine) and also TallTimber Short Lines (also a quarterly). Some hardcore hobby shops here in the West carry both publications. Here's the address for TimberTimes. P.O. Box 219 Hillsboro, OR 97123. Hillsboro is a suburb of Portland. Both magazines cover the entire North American and occasional international logging history scene.
  18. roughneck

roughneck New Member

Lombard Builder

Hello Bill
    I too I'm interested in the Lombard. I've hit a road block with my HO scale version. Need some help with the chain drive. How did you build the one on your model? To date I considered the drive from Jordan trucks and NWSL drive chain but have not been happy with either. Any suggestions?

David F
  19. willy4

willy4 Member

Not sure if you mean the tracks (chain drive). At first I thought of using the tracks from a military tank, but found a Railway Express Miniatures kit and used the tracks from the kit. My tractor is in N scale so I am not familiar with HO kits. Modeltech Studies have a HO kit.
    Sorry if I can't help you.

20. bigsteel

bigsteel Call me Mr.Tinkertrain

thats a very sweet looking tractor! i might just have to build one for my logging layout!--josh