loksound instalation lifelike E8

slekjr

Feb 13, 2007
to Ohio
www.kiskijunction.com
I have several older lifelike P2K e8's and I'm debating on installing loksound. I would swear I saw a tutorial on this but must have been dreaming. Have any of you done this and if you have are you happy with the results. I have 3 BLI E7's with sound and frankly they don't sound like the old 567 engine to me. The F3's with Loksound sound like the ones I remember.
Charlie

UP SD40-2

Apr 29, 2006
Charlie:wav: , does the circuit board in the engine have a 8 pin socket on it? if not, could you possibly post a pic of the engines circuit board?
:deano: -Deano

slekjr

Feb 13, 2007
to Ohio
www.kiskijunction.com
I'll have to get them out of storage (upstairs) I haven't been inside them for about 12 years. I got them when they first came out so they are older ones just dcc ready I think. I'll look at them tomorrow. Thanks for the quick reply.

UP SD40-2

Apr 29, 2006
I'll have to get them out of storage (upstairs) I haven't been inside them for about 12 years. I got them when they first came out so they are older ones just dcc ready I think. I'll look at them tomorrow. Thanks for the quick reply.
No problem:mrgreen: . check them out, post what you have found, once i know what you have to work with, i'll know how to advise you on getting sound in it:winki: .

slekjr

Feb 13, 2007
to Ohio
www.kiskijunction.com
UP SD40-2 No problem:mrgreen: . check them out, post what you have found, once i know what you have to work with, i'll know how to advise you on getting sound in it

Well In guess I'm older than I wanna be looks like it isn't dcc ready.
I know they were some of the first units made

Attachments

• 20070612 024r.jpg
    20070612 024r.jpg
    45.8 KB · Views: 9

UP SD40-2

Apr 29, 2006
slekjr, you could "hot-wire" the Loksound decoder in:winki: . after looking at your pic, i don't see the black wire:confused: , if there IS a black wire connected to the circuit board, hotwiring the sound decoder in will be quite easy:thumb: , if i AM seeing right, and there is NO black wire connected to the circuit board, that tells me that the motor is grounded to the frame:frowns: . what you would have to do in that case is isolate the motor from touching ANY metal on the frame:winki: .

i have a Decoder/Sound Decoder install thread that will help if the motor IS touching the frame:winki: . look at the install done by Dan Raitz, you would install the sound decoder MUCH in the same way he shows the decoder install:thumb: . he uses a chipboard, you will connect the wires, and set yours up the same way, only your Loksound decoder will not be a chipboard. you can find the tutorial here: http://forum.zealot.com/t116552/

the wire setup for your(any) decoder/sound decoder is like this:
orange wire = right side of motor
yellow wire = backup light
black wire = left side of trucks
gray wire = left side of motor
white wire = headlight
blue wire = common wire for BOTH, the headlight and tail light:winki:
red wire = right side of trucks

i hope this helps:winki: . :deano: -Deano

slekjr

Feb 13, 2007
to Ohio
www.kiskijunction.com
Dear Deano
Thanks for taking the time to reply. I think I can figure it out from there. The motor isn't isolated so I'll have to do that. I haven't ordered the Loksound yet but from what you have said it should be pretty straight forward. Now for a stupid question. Is the locksound decoder all you need for the dcc installation or do you need the dcc decoder too?
Charlie

UP SD40-2

Apr 29, 2006
Dear Deano
Thanks for taking the time to reply. I think I can figure it out from there. The motor isn't isolated so I'll have to do that. I haven't ordered the Loksound yet but from what you have said it should be pretty straight forward. Now for a stupid question. Is the locksound decoder all you need for the dcc installation or do you need the dcc decoder too?
Charlie
Charlie:wav: , that most certainly IS NOT a "stupid" question:winki: . the answer is, NO, you do not need another decoder, the sound decoders not only produce sound, but ALSO decode the engine, 2 for 1 deal:thumb:...thats why they cost so much:winki: . good luck to you!:smilie: , i hope i have helped:winki: .

slekjr

Feb 13, 2007
to Ohio
www.kiskijunction.com
Dear Deano
I have read your tutorials. Thanks for sending the link. I couldn't find them again. Now I have a shortcut on the desktop.
I probably won't get to this project now until this winter as we just bought another caboose and a box car we will be working on for the scenic train.
Thanks again for your help and if you are ever in Pa please come visit, and if you need some good old Alco 539 sound we have it full scale.
Charlie

UP SD40-2

Apr 29, 2006
Charlie:wav: , WOW!!:eeki: , thats VERY COOL about the scenic train:thumb: . and that was VERY KIND of you for the invite:smilie: , THANK YOU:winki: :mrgreen: .

when it comes time for you do take on the install, if you have ANY questions, DON'T hesitate to ask for help:winki:. i have another sound decoder install tutorial to add to the thread i gave you the link to, this tutorial would be of GREAT HELP on isolating the motor:winki: . i converted my Walther's FM H10-44 to DCC:mrgreen: .....NOT FUN:frowns: , but do-able:thumb: . i have all the pictures done, now i just have to find the time to write it up:119: . (you can see the engine in THIS WEEKS Photo Fun thread, page 1:winki: , though i am not finished detailing it:119: ) .

Attachments

• inst.JPG
    inst.JPG
    29.8 KB · Views: 15

slekjr

Feb 13, 2007
to Ohio
www.kiskijunction.com
Dear Deano
I see you are in Wi. do you happen to have any pics of the WSOR?
We are the proud owners of the ex WSOR 752. In need of some TLC but Mechanically 100 percent.
I don't use it too often but serves as a good backup.
Charlie