logging trawler

rebel

need info if anyone has made a trawler or schooner for hauling logs, need one for a dock area, most logging sites dont seem to deal with that part of the logging production

Up in my part of the mountains, when logging was at its peak in the early 1900's, softwood logs were towed to the mill on the lake in booms by small steamboats. The heavier hardwood logs were loaded on barges made of softwood logs and towed. (I've seen a photo of a Barnhart loader sitting on a crude barge.) Booms were also used on slow-moving rivers, I believe.

Was hauling unsawn logs inside ships common on the west coast?

Wayne

If you're near San Franciso, you can tour the C. A. Thayer, a schooner built for lumber transport in the 1890's. It's been restored and is currently owned by the National Park Service. At 219' the Thayer would be an imposing feature in your dock area.

You can see it at: http://www.nps.gov/safr/local/thayer.html

Be sure to click on the Thayer Restoration link for lots of photos & a QuickTime tour of the interior of the hull.

Wayne

lassenlogger

Found these two articles in the Jan. and April issues of the Timberman magazine. Thought you'd find them of interest.

Jimmy B
Lawton, NV

Attachments

• Schooner01.jpg
    Schooner01.jpg
    53.6 KB · Views: 274
  • Schooner02.jpg
    Schooner02.jpg
    57.7 KB · Views: 281

fp9er

You may be interested in this, from "Ships Through the Centuries"
http://collections.ic.gc.ca/maritime_museum/exploration/boattypes3.html

<snip>
The 991 ton Thermopylae was designed by Walter Hood and build in Aberdeen in 1868 and was claimed to be the faster sailing clipper in the world. She was the great rival of the clipper 'Cutty Sark'. She spent her twilight years in Victoria B.C. running lumber to the orient.
<snip>

The 36" Revell Model works out to 1:70 Scale....Pretty close to HO. The kit, to my knowledge, is no longer made in this (large) scale. I have one, partly built...even have the satin green paint that the hull should be!

Do you have a big enough harbour, though? You'd either have to cut a hole in the harbour to set the ship at her waterline, or you'd have to trim the hull to make a "waterline" model. Some of the vaccumform sails are missing but if I had this sitting at a dock I'd rig it sans sails.

The model, BTW can be build as a square rigger or a barque....there are instructions for both. (Wow--this famous ship was Canadian-owned at the end of her days! )

Paul McD.

sumpter250

multiscale modelbuilder
The 68' two mast schooner "StephenTaber" (which currently sails out of Maine) was built in 1861 for the brick trade, and later carried pulpwood loads on Long Island Sound, and down east. When fully loaded, her decks were all but awash, and the load stacked high on deck, made handling sail a little difficult.
Nice pics of a 5 mast lumber schooner. Many of these had doors in the bows, for loading long boards, that couldn't be loaded through deck hatches.
Pete