Logging Railroads in the South East (E TN)

kf4jqd

Hi Gauger's:

Today I stoped at The Little River Railroad And Lumber Company Museum in Townsend, Tennessee. Out side the Smoky Mountain National Park. It's very interesting. I never really knew about railroad logging operations in this part of the country. I knew about the Mid-West, Upper Mid-West, and Western USA.

After the Civil War, logging operations started here in East Tennessee. It continued up to World War II. During this time, the country has in hard economic hardships. With the start of the war, steal was in short suppy. It was profitable for the railroads to rear up theur track and sell it. They even cut up their shays as scrape! :cry: The land was sold to the State of Tennessee. This was handed over to the national government. In the 1940's, FDR named it as the Great Smoky Mountain National Park.

Here's their web site link: www.LittleRiverRailroad.org
HWY 321, PO Box 211, Townsend, Tennessee 37882

They are starting a model railroad of logging operations. Since I will be living in a small apartment. This will give me a chance to work on model trains. Plus I have some building and stuff I can donate. :thumb: It's a good cause.

Railroads is what made this country great. Without them, it would have taken alot longer for us to grow as a nation. I feel no matter where I live. I want to be part of restoring the areas railroad history. I helped in Wisconsin and now it's time for E Tennessee. If you get a chance to visit Dollywood and the Smokies, come over to Townsend and see this little railroad! :wave:

Andy

PS
My sister Jennifer is getting me information about the Atomic Train in Oak Ridge, Tennessee. She is a scientist for the DOE.

stump7

Great link Andy, thanks. The skidder pictures brings some insight to the process but also raises a few questions some of you may know the answers to. How far did these high lines go back into the woods, hundreds of feet, a mile or more? What was the means of comunication between the woods site and the skidder, how did the operator know when the logs were ready to pick up and pull into the skidder?
Stump7

Matthyro

Will always be re-membered
That's neat Andy as you will have a great time helping build that layout. Sounds like a wonderful place to spend some time.

NCAndy

I can't speak for that area but here in western NC there is still alot of evidence of the logging boom that took place about 100 yrs ago. Much of what is Pisgah National Forest in this area is loaded with old grades and there are still some places with ties intact. There are bits and pieces of rail still about as well. A large portion of the trails along streams in the forest were once the roadbed for the logging rails. Up near Hampton, TN, a branch of the ETWNC made it's way up Laurel Fork gorge and followed the drainage for about 10 miles or more upstream. The App. Trail uses part of the old roadbed to make it's way through the gorge.

One could have a big time exploring these old logging lines.

'nuther Andy