logging railroad

farmer ron

Jan 18, 2002
B.C., canada
Visit site
I am trying to incorporate a logging line into my layout and not having much success. I would like to replace pat of my layout with this new addition. So far all I have is 6 ft x 12 ft space, most of my present track is flat with the landscape going up and down, at present not too pleased with this, would like the trackage also to have some elevation with some bridges. A friend of mine gave me an article from Great Model Railroads 1999 issue of the atricle by Roger Belangeron his Eagle Lake and East Branch. Unfortunately this is a point to point and I would prefer a continous run, so somewhere there must be a swy of putting in a switch or altering a track to make it that way. Any suggestions or comments, or if anyone one else has a better idea or plan would be appreciated. I would like it in the shape of an upside down U with a couple of loops. Thanks in advance to those who reply. Ron..

shamus

Registered Member
Dec 17, 2000
UK
Hi Ron,
A 6 ft x 12 ft space, wow, my main Badger was created on a 5'-6" X 10'
Here's the plan, if you want to use it or some of it, go ahead.

Cheers Shamus
waver.gif

Attachments

• 105.jpg
    105.jpg
    43.5 KB · Views: 396

farmer ron

Jan 18, 2002
B.C., canada
Visit site
Thanks Shamus, I will try that or at least incormorate some of it in.

Just got up off the floor with the paper,pensil and templates. Is 18" r curves sufficient for logging or do they have to be larger?? What I have down now is 98 percent 18" r curves with the odd 22". I would have to eliminate a few things if I went to 22" r. and would not like to do that. Ron.

shamus

Registered Member
Dec 17, 2000
UK
Hiya,
18" r curves are perfect for an HO logging layout, my shays will go around a 16" if needed and will climb a 1" to 12" grade.

BTW, forgot to mention that Roger Belangers plan isn't just a point to point, the line passes the turntable and goes under the mine and re-appears under the other turntable on the right.

shamus
waver.gif

farmer ron

Jan 18, 2002
B.C., canada
Visit site
Shamus, do you have a different plan than I do?? My plan shows one yard with turntable on lower left side where the track dead ends at the turntable. From there you go out of the yard, and following the tracks you end up at the turntable on the upper right where again the track ends. That is what I have on the plan infront of me. Again maybe you have something different than I do, that would be nice to have that track loop past the turntable and back out, have been thinking of a way to do that myself or put a "Y" in the center spot where the town is. If you could would greatly appreciated if you could send me or post a copy of your plan so I can look at it also. I would post mine by do not have scanner yet. Thanks Ron..

shamus

Registered Member
Dec 17, 2000
UK
Its the plan in 1999 GMR Ron, thats the one I was looking at, the dotted lines are the ones I was refering to.

Shamus

shamus

Registered Member
Dec 17, 2000
UK
Hi Ron,
My apologies friend, I didn’t take a real good look at the plan before I said it was continuous,
It is possible though to make it so by taking the track (Right hand side) under TT and taking them all the way around underneath and joining them up at the other end by the other TT.

Sorry mate, I goofed.
Shamus
waver.gif

sumpter250

multiscale modelbuilder
Jan 19, 2002
Vernon Hills, Illinois
Visit site
I didn’t take a real good look at the plan before I said it was continuous,

Shamus,
I made the same mistake. On the right hand side there is a line,
in the tunnel marked "future expansion" which might possibly be used to go around under the back, and connect behind the "furnace".

Ron,
I had the fortune of meeting Roger, when I was stationed at NAS Brunswick, Me., in 1968-1969. We were both members of the Down East Railroad Club. It was his work, at the Bath Marine Museum, in Bath, Me., that inspired me to greatly improve my ship modeling skills. The "America", the picture is in "It went where", was built with a little supervision from Roger, and Ed Ruszczyk, another DERR club member.
In an unusual twist of events, the woman I met, and married, in Illinois, had just broken up with Roger's son. It was about two years after, that I discovered that connection.
Pete

farmer ron

Jan 18, 2002
B.C., canada
Visit site
Sorry for the delay, have difficulty getting near the computer as wife is gone back to university to get her masters degree thus spends lots of hours on the computer doing reasearch. Managed to get on here at work, finally got a chance to get back to the office and sit down at one, been very busy last few shifts, it is now 5:30am almost finished work and starting days off which means some train time.
Again sorry for the delay, thanks for replying to my post, I have been looking closely at the plan and putting pensil to paper on a one to one scale and think I have found a way to make it a continous run. Have enough room to put a "Y" in the center area, also by extending the track that states "for future " all way around back, come out above turntable on left side and with a switch join it onto the middle track(the one that goes up to the very top level), it will go all the way round. Have some of the wood already cut for the "L" girder tables so will not take long for that to go up. As I have stated have the paper put on the plywood and marked it all out so can cut that soon also.
Thanks again to you both.
Stumpter, did you get to see any of Roger's railroad work, I would imagine that with his talents in the boat building field these would have carried over to his railroad. I know by looking at the photo's of the layout it is impressive.
Shamus: I am going to incorporate some of your plans into the three by five area on the lower part where the turntable area is. I would like to put in a log unloading and saw mill complex and if have a little room left over maybe and engine house area, any suggestions??
Thanks all. Ron..

shamus

Registered Member
Dec 17, 2000
UK
Hi Ron,
Perhaps if you can draw out some idea's or even some plan of what you are trying to incorporate, I & the rest of our family can have a look at it.

Shamus

sumpter250

multiscale modelbuilder
Jan 19, 2002
Vernon Hills, Illinois
Visit site
did you get to see any of Roger's railroad work, I would imagine that with his talents in the boat building field these would have carried over to his railroad
Ron,
At the time, Roger was just starting railroad modeling. He said it was an area he could do "for himself", as the rest of his modeling was done professionally, and under time constraints.
Pete

shamus

Registered Member
Dec 17, 2000
UK
Hey Ron,
Did you manage to get your plan sorted out friend, if you need help, just ask.
Shamus
waver.gif