Logging on the MAT

Discussion in 'Logging, Mining and Industrial Railroads' started by Matthyro, Feb 20, 2003.

1. Matthyro

Matthyro Will always be re-membered

These photos show that I am in the early days of building this section. While most of the MAT is flat, I took advantage of the steep grades of logging railways to come up with my section.
    It occupies an area that is 11ft. by 18inches. The lead to the logging starts outside this area.
    The first picture shows the main double track line in the forground, the start of the logging lead and high up, the end of the line

Attached Files:

• log4.jpg
      File size:
      25.2 KB
  2. Matthyro

The second picture looks east .

Attached Files:

• log3.jpg
      File size:
      27.8 KB
  3. Matthyro

The third picture shows the location of a yet to be named creek which will be spanned by a trestle on the logging line and a truss bridge for the main line

Attached Files:

• log2.jpg
      File size:
      25.9 KB
  4. Matthyro

The last picture shows the western end of this logging line and will be the site of a switch back and a camp.

Attached Files:

• log1.jpg
      File size:
      27.5 KB
  5. jon-monon

jon-monon Active Member

Great Robin! Keep those piccys comin!
  6. Clerk

Clerk Active Member

WOW Robin. Your coming right along. Wish I had a camara to snap shots of my layout.
  7. shamus

shamus Registered Member

Hi Robin,
    Yeah, I love it, thats going to be one hell of a nice logging area when it get scenery to it. Now then, you want a name for the creek :D (Badger Creek):D now that it no longer exists.
    BTW, Jimmy was supposed to come and see me, but he rang to say it was too far to come up. Pity, maybe next time.
    Cheers friend

8. Matthyro

Thanks for the suggestion Shamus. It will be an honour to have the creek named after the fantastic layout that used to have the name, Badger Creek.
    Too bad Jimmy can't make it. He is a real nice guy and I know how much he thinks of your great layout and photography skills.
    How far are you from Canterbury where Jimmy is visiting his daughter and family.
    Thanks for your support Jon and Clerk.
  9. Drew1125

Drew1125 Active Member

Hi Robin!
    Nice to see the MAT getting up into the "high country" there!
    What a great looking layout!
    :cool: :cool: :cool:
  10. Tyson Rayles

Tyson Rayles Active Member

Hey Robin, nice to see your progress. Can't wait to see the scenery progress in that area.
  11. 60103

60103 Pooh Bah

That's a really nice illustration of L girder benchwork. We'll probably be referring back to it in future discussions.
  12. shamus

shamus Registered Member

Hi Robin,
    Glad you can name it Badger Creek, like to see photo's of that later.

Canterbury is around 8 hours on a coach, Train around 6. But it can be done by car in 4 hours, if the Motorways are clear.