Logging Layout Up for Comments

belg

Apr 28, 2001
New Jersey USA
Visit site
Eric I'm not an expert on track planning but I think some additional info like towns, business locations and so forth would help people figure out if it will work

jon-monon

Aug 15, 2002
Cobblers Knob, IN
www.2guyzandsumtrains.com
I like your plan Eric! You're off to a good start. I also like the fact that you are using RTS, because we can exchange files if we like :D

It depends what part of the logging operations you are wnating to model. I think you plan would make a great industrial layout, including the processing part of logging. If you want to focus more on the harvesting of logs, then you would perhaps want less track and more scenery. If you want to cover all aspects, you might go half and half.

I recomend reviewing Shamus's site for track plans:

http://www.badger-creek.co.uk/

Just click "track plans" to see a lot of logging plans. Also check out the pics on both sites, above and his newest:

http://www.cooncreek-and-tumbleweed-springs.co.uk/

Now, you'll need to decide what aspects of logging you will have on-layout, and what, if any, will be implied. You already specified 50's, so you can use trucks to bring the logs in to the trains if you want to avoid modeling much of hte harvesting ops. Or you may decide to model mostly the woods and the loggers felling trees and loading them onto logging cars on rickety tracks.

The one thing I would change, regardless of what you want to model, is I would change it to a single mainline.

BTW: you can post your rail images here using the IMG tags (the buttons above where we type in our posts) and place the image location for the photo (it's url). In doing so you are not limited in size and quantity of photo's per post. This image url is http://www.railimages.com/albums/ericbrehm/aad.sized.gif There is a link at the top of the page that tells how to get the image url.

shamus

Registered Member
Dec 17, 2000
UK
Hello Eric,
I looked at your track plan and I really think you have far too much track on the board. Better off making a single line rather than a double which would make the scenery side much better.
Nice photo by the way.
Shamus

grlakeslogger

Sep 2, 2003
WI, USA
Visit site
Welcome, Eric. This is a great place to get the sort of input you are looking for.

I agree with the comments posted by jon-monon and Shamus. You might cut back on the amount of track because logging operations were long on scenery and relatively short on complicated trackwork. A 4 x 8 is a logical starting point, but open grid is better for logging. Might you be able to use your materials in such a way that you wind up with a shape other than a rectangle? One other problem I see is the length of the sidings you use--even logging lines used trains longer than most of yours. Switching puzzles are fun, but too much switching all the time can get to be tedious. The shorter cars used in the 50's are a definite plus for those of us with small layouts, so you're definitely smart to plan based on era. If you are willing to provide your e-mail address, I'll e-mail you my own trackplan. I do not believe I can post it here, since it's file extension is bmp. I drew it using Cadrail, and, so far, am pleased with it.

By the way, what are your planned minimum radius and maximum grade?
--Stu--

Ho Modeler

Apr 6, 2004
Fox Valley
Visit site
Layout

Thank you so much for the replies I hope I can Keep getting info from you guys. This is the first site that did not say the layout should be a industrial.

I am very limited to the amount of space I have for the layout. Simply put a 4 X 8 table in the basement so not much room for other planning.... Yet ;)

I will post a reply as to what businesses go where at a later date.
School Work Urghghgh...
But I was hoping to have a double mainline so that I can run One train on the outer loop continuously and switch with another on the inner loop. DCC alright!!
It won't look so bad because the plan is to have the right side mostly covered with a large mountain and mining operation. This will allow for me to put a track at a grade up the mountain then extend the table with a little more benchwork and allow ample opportunity to spread out.

Eric

shamus

Registered Member
Dec 17, 2000
UK
Re: Layout

Originally posted by Ho Modeler
But I was hoping to have a double mainline so that I can run One train on the outer loop continuously and switch with another on the inner loop. DCC alright!!

Eric

Hi, no need to go DCC if you just want to run two trains on different tracks.

DCC only comes into it's own when around three or four locos are run on the same track which need the same amount of people controlling them.
Shamus

jon-monon

Aug 15, 2002
Cobblers Knob, IN
www.2guyzandsumtrains.com
Thank you so much for the replies I hope I can Keep getting info from you guys. This is the first site that did not say the layout should be a industrial.

Keep coming back all you want and ask all the questions you can think of. We have pretty high percentage of answering all the questions. I'm not schmardt, but there's 'nuff guys like me that we put our heads all together and if we don't get in trouble, we come up with some idears :D :D :D

I guess the other sites aren't so schmardt even as agroup, or they might realize logging is an industry, and what's more, it's a darned rewording one to model.

In logging you have a lot of freedom and you can rig things up how you like, cuz that's what the real loggers did. You can bring the logs to the trains with trackters, trucks, steam donkeys or real donkeys or any combination. You can use your immagination to convert any kind of rollin' stock into a log car, cuz the big boys did just that. I've seen the sides cut off gondos and the tops cut off boxcars.

I just love hte beautiful scenery and the rustic buildin's, bridges and trackwork!

Ho Modeler

Apr 6, 2004
Fox Valley
Visit site
Layout

Thanks for the comments guys!!!

I do need to cut back on the track a bit. It will be a little bit before I can get the RTS software to accept the little nudges and sharpeness in the track that I worked out with fillers and a little bit of an angle.

Eric

grlakeslogger

Sep 2, 2003
WI, USA
Visit site
There definitely does need to be room for scenery on logging layouts--these industries functioned in the great outdoors. One other thing I did learn as I travelled by car through the same area I model is that tall trees usually limit what is visible to less than 200 yards. That was a surprise to me! My own layout room's cabinet's and windows do not actually allow me a track elevation over 50 inches from the floor, and that is a disappointment to me. If I had my druthers, I'd put my zero elevation around 52 inches and let the trees tower over that. Real white pines get to be around 120 ft. tall.

Please plan in detail how you plan to operate your logging line. Remember that logging lines used work trains--they were constantly building and tearing out spurs to reach more trees. And, they ran all manner of speeders to carry supplies, men, bosses, and the injured to and from the woods. Camp trains and fire trains also moved from time to time. Plenty of possibilities exist for varied and interesting operation on what some would call a boring, single-commodity carrier. Finally, many logging lines interchanged with common carriers, and some were common carriers themselves. So, movements of cars other than log or work cars did happen.

Good luck in coming up with a layout plan (track+scenery+operations) that pleases you!
--Stu--