Logging East Tennessee on the C&S RR

Bill Nelson

09 goals for the DG CC & W RR

I am hoping to work on sceanery and details, to get closer to a finished look , while trying to get the Southern staging on level 1 right, and to start work on Gegoukayoosa on level 5

I need to work on Ore cars for the narrow gauge (which I can use @ home and @ the club), and logging and mining machinery would be cool.

@ the club I want to make some progress with the saw mill.

Bill Nelson

ytter_man

I have 3 of those bachmann donkeys, 2 in a blister pack and one as a flatcar load, just the other day from the LHS. They have pretty good piping detail but i agree with what ya said above about putting bigger skids on em, please let me know how it works for ya?

Doctor G

I am hoping to work on sceanery and details, to get closer to a finished look , while trying to get the Southern staging on level 1 right, and to start work on Gegoukayoosa on level 5

I need to work on Ore cars for the narrow gauge (which I can use @ home and @ the club), and logging and mining machinery would be cool.

@ the club I want to make some progress with the saw mill.

Bill Nelson
You are one busy guy!!!!!!
Doc Tom:eek:

Bill Nelson

They came from the manufacturors or little skids, for shipping purpouses, and the logging companies made larger skids as soon as they were delivered. Note the Bachman model doesn't have a water tank or a fairlead. as is it couldn,t run long, or even drag itself around. These will need mods to get them right for work in the woods.

That being said, the same is true for the evergreen hill AH&D hoist, and you have a lot of building for it. this is much more detailed and compleate than the lifelike flatcar load. we are going to have a lot of fun with these!

Bill Nelson

Doctor G

I have 3 of those bachmann donkeys, 2 in a blister pack and one as a flatcar load, just the other day from the LHS. They have pretty good piping detail but i agree with what ya said above about putting bigger skids on em, please let me know how it works for ya?
Hi ytter_man,
Glad to hear you like them!! I have only seen pictures and now we have some first person testimony. You must have a good hobby shop in your area.

Bill and I have to rely on the internet, Caboose Hobbies, Walthers catalog and the local Hobby Lobby.

We do OK but there is nothing quite like seeing these models in person!!!!

Bill is a master model craftsman when it comes to wood and wood models. I am sure the skid logs for the loaders will be incredible!!!! I think Bill will post some pictures and when completed with rigging I will also post pictures of it in one of the lumber camps on the C&S.
Doc Tom:wave:

ytter_man

^Lookin forward to em!

I also noticed the lack of a water tank and fairlead on the bachmanns, and it would've been nice of em to put a tin roof on em as a separate piece.

Doctor G

^Lookin forward to em!

I also noticed the lack of a water tank and fairlead on the bachmanns, and it would've been nice of em to put a tin roof on em as a separate piece.
Agree ytter_man there will be a lot of creativity that can be put into these models. See the inspiring prototype picture posted below.
Doc Tom

Attachments

• donkeyenginecrew.jpg
    donkeyenginecrew.jpg
    17.5 KB · Views: 141

Doctor G

Camp #9, last logging camp on the C&SRR

Well after a fairly long trip on the C&SRR we have reached the last logging camp, Camp#9, high in the Smoky Mountains on the "Crazy Eight" Branch.

A very good cook works in the scratchbuilt cook house and has invited the loco crew over for a 4,000 calorie mountaineer's breakfast.

This feast is probably a good way to wrap up the photo tour of the C&S RR. The happy crew and well fed crew is waving good bye.

Will provide photo updates in the near future as further models are made and scenes completed. In the post that follows we get a glimpse of the future as construction continues on the Wonderland Hotel and Cottages.

So stay tuned for more Mountain RR fun.
Doc Tom:wave::wave::wave::wave:

Attachments

• Camp 9 1.jpg
    Camp 9 1.jpg
    206.9 KB · Views: 21
  • Camp 9 2.jpg
    Camp 9 2.jpg
    200.1 KB · Views: 19
  • Camp 9 3.jpg
    Camp 9 3.jpg
    191.2 KB · Views: 17
  • Camp 9 4.jpg
    Camp 9 4.jpg
    191.6 KB · Views: 22

Doctor G

The Wonderland Cottages

Here is a picture of my latest mountain project .....the office for the Wonderland Cottages.

Located high in the mountains the Wonderland Hotel and Cottages are a destination for passengers transfering from the Southern RR in Caseyville Tn. It is a representation of the Wonderland Hotel that was served by the Little River RR in Elkmont Tennessee. This has been a fun project relying totally on the nice kits from Bar Mills.

Photos will appear in the future when this project nears completion.

Doc Tom:wave::wave::wave:

Attachments

• Wonderland Cottages.jpg
    Wonderland Cottages.jpg
    154.9 KB · Views: 24

Bill Nelson

Bad arm disease!

while interviewing prospective members of the Big donkey crew, many of the applicants were refered to Dr. Gravestone, at his offices in the B-S Lumbr. Co. offices for pysicals . Two of the applicants were diagnosed with bad arm desease, which apearantly has spread across sand mountain into Gorre County, from our neighbors to the north in Gravestone County. Dr, Gravestone was not ready for surgrery, so he had is assistant perform the operation.

The patients are doing well, and are now able to lower the bad arm below thier shoulder. They do, however need extensive pysical therapy, and did not land that prestigious job on the big donkey crew, Time will tell where they get emploied .

Bill Nelson

Attachments

• smlbadarmsurgery.jpg
    smlbadarmsurgery.jpg
    153 KB · Views: 11

Doctor G

while interviewing prospective members of the Big donkey crew, many of the applicants were refered to Dr. Gravestone, at his offices in the B-S Lumbr. Co. offices for pysicals . Two of the applicants were diagnosed with bad arm desease, which apearantly has spread across sand mountain into Gorre County, from our neighbors to the north in Gravestone County. Dr, Gravestone was not ready for surgrery, so he had is assistant perform the operation.

The patients are doing well, and are now able to lower the bad arm below thier shoulder. They do, however need extensive pysical therapy, and did not land that prestigious job on the big donkey crew, Time will tell where they get emploied .

Bill Nelson
Ahhhh the cure for Bad Arm Disease "BAD" has been discovered......so many will be helped. Just send donations toThe Doc Tom Society for the Recovery of Bent Extremities of Little People. Your donations in combating this crippling disease are appreciated.
Doc Tom:cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool:

Mountain Man

That engineer type standing in the doorway next to the sign for "fresh eggs" appears to have a bad case of Captain Morgan's Disease. Any cure for that? :mrgreen:

Doctor G

That engineer type standing in the doorway next to the sign for "fresh eggs" appears to have a bad case of Captain Morgan's Disease. Any cure for that? :mrgreen:
He Does look like he has the disease pretty bad. Check out this medical photo of a similar sufferer. No known cure available.
Doc Tom:cry:

Attachments

• 180px-Captain_Morgan,_2007.jpg
    180px-Captain_Morgan,_2007.jpg
    16.3 KB · Views: 110

Bill Nelson

that's the problem, how do you think he got that hat? And once the ****** Parrot shows up you are done for. I know, after 29 years, we have pawned off our parrot on my daughter, and with the parrot and the kids gone, we have peace and quiet at our farm way out in the woods, close to the city.

Bill Nelson

Bill Nelson

work on the skids!

Coming back from the Train club, where we are tearing up large areas where we had made mistakes, so that we can make new mistakes.

While @ the club I received from Dr. Tom, some of those Bachman skiders we have been discussing. They hit the workbench, and the tiny skids came off relatively easily. The first larger wood skid in in the works. Here is a photo of the crew working on it. The C&S management specified that The completed donkey must be transportable on a 30 ft flatcar, so we had one handy, as the BERGHAUSEN- SHOEMAKER crews don't work from blueprints, and have been known to get carried away. They were working into the night, as there is an operating sesion over in Gravestone County this friday night, and they are hoping to be able to make a delivery.

Bill Nelson

Eastern Tn logging on the DG CC & W RR 1928

Attachments

• New  skid.jpg
    New skid.jpg
    168.8 KB · Views: 19