Locust Mech

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by rockpaperscissor, Oct 30, 2007.

1. I've completed another small mech, my fourth. I think that's about it for the 1/72 scale mechs, my next one will be bigger - 1/40th scale. A link to this small and simple locust mech can be found here:

PaperandGlue - Mecha Anime!!

The model is made up of 4 printed pages. It stands about 5 inches (12.7 cm) tall when completed, not counting the antenna. There are no build instructions, which did give me pause a couple of times, especially the ankle joint. The build isn't really difficult, but you do have to think. A few of the parts that need to be rolled are oriented wrong on the page - against the paper grain - (antenna, laser cannon, and optional long range rocket tubes) which makes them hard to fabricate smoothly. I decided not to use the LRR option anyway. The antenna was impossible. I made a new one from thinner paper oriented with the grain.

The Locust class mechs are supposed to be speedy little buggers (at 20 tons, little in relation to other mechs, that is), so I built mine in a running stance.

In order to display the model in this position, a base was called for. It would also mean that all the weight of the model would have to be carried by one spindly paper leg, so I would have to get inventive to make my idea work.

I made a 3"x 6"x 1/2" base of black mat board. I wanted to experiment with some simple ground work for this display, so I traced the outline of the groundwork on a piece of paper, taped it to a sheet of class, and covered the paper with clear plastic from a freezer bag. I made up a batch of Celluclay (instant paper mache) and spread it out to match the shape of my groundwork outline. I made depressions where the foot would go, imbedded some rocky detritus (kitty litter), and then let it dry for a few days. After it was dry I peeled off the plastic wrap, and sprayed the top of the groundwork with Krylon white primer to seal it. Then I painted the ground with shades of brown and orange acrylic paint, and glued it down to the mat board base. A Classic Battletech logo completed the base.

I made a half inch block of card by gluing layers of matte board together. I glued the block to the underside of the base right under where the foot would go. I drilled a hole thru the groundwork and into the matteboard block that matched the angle of the leg. Then I glued an 1/8 wooden dowel into the hole. The dowel will carry the weight of the model, rather than the paper leg.

To complete my display I slid the locust's hollow leg over the dowel, and glued the foot to the ground. I declare this one done!

2. Alcides

Alcides Member

Wow !!! :eek:

Really looks like the Locust is running. Very nice job. :thumb:

The base adds a lot to the model.

Thanks for sharing
  3. cgutzmer

cgutzmer Guest

Thats simple? Very nice! Thanks for showing how you attached it to the base - very intuitive :D
  4. Stev0

Stev0 Active Member

Great job. Presentation is everything too.I was never a big fan of the Locust (except when they are in my line of fire :) )

Any other builds in the near future? You should go the other end of the spectrum Atlas. =o
  5. shiftdel

shiftdel Member

Great work rockpaperscissor!! I had seen that model before, but your display added a LOT to the presentation of that simple model!!

If you are interested, I released some paper mechs in 1/40 scale. I modelled them from scratch copying them from MW4 models: Vulture, Shadowcat and Catapult. Around 50-70 parts each one. No assembly instructions yet, I'm trying to finish the Vulture instructions, but it is the hardest part...

I'll open a thread about them, so you can see some pics of the models.
  6. Thanks for the kind words gents, I only wish the pictures were better. Gonna have to get me one of them new fangled digital cameras I guess. Shiftdel, I've already found and downloaded your 3 wonderful models a week ago, and am forging ahead on the Catapult right now. Photos (poor ones) will undoubtedly follow.
  7. Mark_1984

Mark_1984 Guest

Very nice indeed Don. It's a great dynamic pose. Medal winning stuff !!
  8. Gomidefilho

Gomidefilho Member

Very Nice Great Work! I love the movement sensation!!!!!
  9. Janx

Janx Member

Love mechs too and that looks cool:thumb: