Loco's Loco (Porter Progress)

Discussion in 'Gallery & Designs' started by thewoodengraver, Feb 26, 2007.

1. thewoodengraver

thewoodengraver Active Member

After wading through the labyrinths filled with toxic fumes I created, I decided the best way to make it up to you was to show you progress.
    I am presently cutting out the parts I have so far, and will not stop (liberal breaks in-between) until I have something to show you...still interested?
  2. paper warrior

paper warrior Member

3. cgutzmer

cgutzmer Guest

Of course I am still interested phil!
  4. B-Manic

B-Manic Peripheral Visionary

Oh yeah!

By the way I like your new avatar, don't know what it is but I like it . . .
  5. hpept

hpept Member

Hi Phil, I must admit that I lost the latest developments of the "other" thread about the Porter and only now realized what happened. Too bad, a loss for everyone. But I'm still interested in following your design. I'll be happy if you will want to share the steps of your design, and I will be happy either if you will want to show us only the finished model. Keep up the good work.
    All the best
  6. Amazyah

Amazyah Senior Member

I've been patiently waiting since you first mentioned it a month ago.
    I love this little powerhouse of a locomotive!
    If you build it, we will come!

7. CardStalker

CardStalker Member

Keep going, we are ALL still here and want to see you complete it. I want it when your done, my Dad is big on train's and thats another story I'll tell some day. Thanks.
  8. cjwalas

cjwalas Member

You know how much I want to see this one done, Phil! While a design/construction progress log would be great, I'd be just as thrilled to wait for the final product. Whatever works for you works great for me!
    Thanks for tackling this one!
  9. ulious

ulious Member

Very much so.
  10. Clashster

Clashster Member

Phil, one of my first loves was locomotives... I collect books and photos of all different types... Over the years, I have drifted away, but seeing pictures of your progress will bring back some really fond memories! Thanks for sharing!

11. thewoodengraver

I'm almost ashamed to show these, it's so, so...big!
    But, I had to at least show you she was real.
    The scale is 1/32. I did not build this carefully, only to check fit...I must say, I amazed myself!
    The firebox and tank have not been glued, still trying to see how it is all supposed to work out. The wheels are 3d, I had intended to show this that way but I inadvertantly cut of the...(I'm ashamed to admit this)...
    I cut off the tabs (yes, I use tabs sometimes). Don't hate me.
    Still quite a bit to go...and I may ask for help on the smokestack. I will try to do it myself first though.
    What do you think? I apologise for the horrible pics...I'm tired!
  12. Amazyah

Amazyah Senior Member

Beautiful, Phil. Looks fantastic!
    Your off to a great start, we never doubted you!

13. Clashster

Clashster Member

Great looking start! Thanks for the pictures!!

14. jleslie48

jleslie48 Member

big is good.

one can always print 2 pages to a sheet,
    or 4, or 6, 8, 16...
  15. thewoodengraver

Thanx guys!

My avatar WAS from my Heart Attack toy...This one is the Production plate from the Porter.Thanx.

No, this is not the result of 1 month, this is the result of 3 days of work and 28 days of procrastination. Every time I tried to turn back to it, I would blow a new head gasket. I thought I could share my design ideas with you but as it turns out, I am way too sensitive for that.

I apologise for creating such a big stink over this.
  16. cgutzmer

cgutzmer Guest

Looking great phil! Light years ahead of anything I can even attempt :)
  17. cjwalas

cjwalas Member

Phil, it's looking fantastic! Really great! Keep up the fine work!
  18. thewoodengraver

I'm just a beginner...but thanx!

I wanted to show you a little bit more on designing techniques.
    Here is a screenshot of the front of the firebox, with 4 different layers.
    Starting from the bottom;
    The background (invisible) are the plans.
    The shape consists of the circles and rivets.
    The lettering (don't know the lettering style for that period, so I winged it).
    The Hardware (handle and hinges).

Each layer is saved as a seperate image.
    The circle shape is drawn using the preset shapes tool. Only struggle here is finding center, which I mark with a single pixel. Once the center has been found, draw all circles from this starting point.

The lettering was placed, one letter at a time, then rotated each letter to it's proper position. It is drawn as black, so I can see it, it will easily change when I paint it.

The hardware was drawn using the point-to-point method.

The number 1 plate on the front (not shown) was also drawn using these methods.

I would love to show you more...but I have been dying for this too long and must finish..
  19. 57townsman

57townsman Member

I've been out the last several days and I don't see the pictures, I even checked your album :???: Would you please tell me where I can view them? If they have been removed, sorry, I didn't know.

20. Bowdenja

Bowdenja Active Member

Yeah I just checked in and missed the pics also:oops: Will they re-appear?

I promise to say the magic word.................... PLEASE.