Locomotives or Lemons?

Discussion in 'Getting Started' started by Cowboy, Mar 10, 2006.

1. Cowboy

Cowboy New Member

I'm just getting back into model RR'ing after several years and I've been running into a few "difficulties" and need help.

My big problem is getting a good quality Steam Locomotive (my 5 yr old is crazy about "steamies"). I've purchased a Bachmann Signature 4-6-2 which ran for about 2 months and then just died:cry: . I shipped it off to the service center and am waiting for the post-mortum. I bought a Bachmann 2-6-0 a month a go and the thing stopped working after 2 weeks:curse: . I made sure with the "new" locomotive that it was run with lots of speed changes, stop/starts, and very limited time at top speed. My wife has a "Hawthorn Village" Christmas train set in HO30 gage which we've had no trouble with, and we also have a Lionel O gage "Polar Express" which was run a lot for 2 months before I put if away until next Christmas, again which no problems. I clean the tracks frequently and have added a track cleaning car.

What am I doing wrong? Are the Bachmann Locomotives a poor quality? Am I just doubley unlucky? Is there a high quality manufacturer which I should be dealling with? I'd rather pay more for a locomotive which will keep working. Thanks for any suggestions.
  2. roenickrox

roenickrox New Member

I'm no expert, but from a little expierience, Bachmann is a toy like system. Walthers. com has a lot of better made steams at a reasonable price. The only Bachmann's that I have heard that are reliable is the Spectrum series. I am just getting back into as you are and am looking at replacing my Bachmann and Life-Likes with better ones.
  3. Russ Bellinis

Russ Bellinis Active Member

Bachmann Spectrum is good. IHC are good runners, and the Mehano seems to run good although not as detailed as Spectrum, Lifelike P2k or Broadway Limited. I would caution about letting a 5 year old handle a steam engine. They are a lot more delecate than diesels and if picked up wrong are easily damaged.
  4. Plywood Central

Plywood Central New Member

Some Bachmann Loco's are just fine. But, you have to make sure it is of the Bachmann Spectrum variety. There are a lot of happy RR'ers that swear by them. The only complaint that I have heard about Bachmann spectrum locos has to do with wheel gauge.

Now, I, personally, don't have any and I am not planning on buying any of them. I would rather buy a Broadway Limited steamer for the money.
  5. Plywood Central

Plywood Central New Member

Russ is right. Thats what the Diesel engines are for :thumb:
  6. Cowboy

Cowboy New Member

I realize there is a risk with my son running the trains. He keeps telling me that he doesn't like deasels. He uses them under my supervision and is very concerned about doing things right. The 2-6-0 locked up while I was running the train (my son was at school, so my turn to play) pulling it's tender and the track cleaning car.

I'll definately look at Walther (I like their pistols :D ) and look into the IHC and Mehano brands. Thanks for the suggestions.
  7. jim currie

jim currie Active Member

:wave: welcome to the gauge :wave: for the young'n the IHC would be good not a lot of detail but the few i have run well.:)
  8. Dick Elmore

Dick Elmore Member

Walthers-Reasonable Prices??? There's two words that don't belong in the same sentence!!!sign1

Texas Chief
  9. JAyers

JAyers Member

Let me follow this down a different track 8?). Are you running this train off of the floor on a dedicated table, even a ping pong table, or are you running it on the floor? If you're running the track on the floor then you may be defeating yourself, no matter what brand of locomotive you get. Hair, lint, dirt and other junk may be fouling the engine and gears.