Locomotive repair; seeking Ray Marinaccio's input.

Discussion in 'FAQs' started by Dave Pollard, Dec 21, 2006.

1. YmeBP

YmeBP Member

Now i'm motivated ;). Is it possible to replace the drive motors or would it be better to just buy a new loco and forget about it?
  2. LongIslandTom

LongIslandTom Member

Good locos can be had for cheap these days.. I say just fuhgettaboutit and get a new one. :D

Back in September, I scored a Broadway Limited Imports HO-scale 4-6-4 NYC Hudson with DCC and sound for $129 at Trainland. It uses a worm drive and has been solid as a rock. I think I made out like a bandit. :cool:
  3. Russ Bellinis

Russ Bellinis Active Member

Depending on how small that tender is, you might be able to slide an Athearn switch engine drive under it. The other thing you might do is to gut the locomotive and make it a dummy, then power the train through an Athearn switch engine drive hidden in a boxcar behind the tender. I've also seen people hide an Athearn drive in a baggage car to give Bachmann 4-8-4's more pulling power to pull a passenger train.
  4. Ray Marinaccio

Ray Marinaccio Active Member

Actually I have replaced the pancake motors on a few with motors from CD-ROM drives.
    Although they do run better my recomendation would be to buy a new loco if better preformance is what you are looking for.
    If you are looking to preserve a loco for sentimental reasons, rebuild it.
  5. Dave Pollard

Dave Pollard New Member

Success! Thanks to Ray, Russ, Andrew, et al!

:thumb: I was able to revive the TYCO tender-driven locomotive with the rather light intervention I described earlier in this thread. I can also see LongIslandTom's viewpoint on chucking cheap locos and buying new, but, I am enthused with the tinkering and making things work, I suppose because I am new to the model train world.

Any way, I have another engine problem that I will provide more info on later including pictures. It is a Bachman. Modeled after a diesel apparently. My early assessments are this: It appears to have driving wheels on both ends. It will go one direction, but, not the other. When I drive it the direction it can go, it appears the other driving wheels just drag and give a 'clack'. The engine can only travel in this condition with one light car... more drag it down, so, I don't use it being concerned I might damage the engine. More details later. Sure hope Ray and others can help me again! I have not opened anything yet on the engine.

6. RobertInOntario

RobertInOntario Active Member

I have exactly the same loco and mine won't run as well! I don't hear any electrical hum or anything.

FYI, I inherited a batch of model RR stock from my Dad who passed away in 1999. I recently found a box of model trains that I had completely forgotten about and this Chattanooga 2-8-0 loco was among them. So I've only known about this loco for a couple weeks or so, and also just came across this thread a few days ago.

My loco's coupler, however, is broken where the the plastic coupler joins onto the tender. In other words, I believe the mount (or where the plastic coupler should be part of the tender) is snapped or broken off. I'm sure it can be fixed though.

I'll probably take my loco to a LHS that has done an excellent job of repairing many of my other locos from my Dad's collection. I couldn't resist, however, chiming in and adding my comments here about my loco. It seems strange that I should stumble across a thread about the same loco after just discovering that I have one!

Thanks for any feedback or suggestions.

Cheers, Rob