Locomotive Operation Question

Discussion in 'G / O / S Scale Model Trains' started by jpkramer203, Dec 21, 2005.

1. jpkramer203

jpkramer203 New Member

I have not used a model train for about 20 years. Twenty years ago, I was only playing iwth my Dad's old set. I just received as a gift the Lionel Holiday Train Set. The locomotive does not work as described in the manual. Can anyone comment if the below description should be considered normal operation?

1) When first giving power, the locomotive is in the neutral postion.
    2) I power down, and when I give it additional power, the locomotive is in reverse.
    3) When I power down again and back up, the locomotive is in neutral.
    4) When I power down again and back up, the locomotive is finally in forward.

Is this normal, or should I have it serviced?

Any comments would be appreciated.
  2. MCF

MCF Member

I just got back into it...

and what you described confused me also. Yes, it appears to be operating correctly, but you need to read the manual about the 'Program' Switch and do what is necessary so that when the train is first powered up it is in either Neutral or Forward.....but the forward...neutral...reverse...neutral....forward, etc. is correct operation...at least for my set.
  3. 60103

60103 Pooh Bah

That is normal operation. If you only want it to go forward, there should be a switch setting to do that.
    If it bothers you, you could always cycle it through the neutral-reverse-neutral settings so that it starts in forward. The reversing unit is mechanical, so it won't reset during a long off period.
  4. Roger B.

Roger B. Member

If the engine is a newer one it'll have an electronic reversing board (E-unit) that usually powers up in neutral, though I've seen some come up with the next step after being shut down. If the transformer has a "direction" button, use this it's quicker than up and down with the power lever.