locomotive derails car being pushed

Discussion in 'FAQs' started by fstan29, Jan 4, 2003.

1. fstan29

fstan29 New Member

I recently treated myself to a train set (MTH PRR 6-8-6 Bantam Turbine Steam freight set)and a modest outlay consistig of a figure 8 within an oval, and a couple of sidings. The problem is this: When I attempt to shift the order of cars in the consist
    by using uncoupling track, and pushing uncoupled car onto siding
    the nonworking front coupler on the locomotive causes pushed car to derail on curves. Any ideas or suggestions? Thanks and happy new year.
  2. upguy

upguy Oregon Western Lines, CEO

I'm not familiar with the train set that you mention, but often this type of problem is due to any combination of the following reasons: light cars, truck mounted couplers, type or style of coupler, track out of gauge, or wheels out of gauge.
  3. jdh

jdh Member

just my 2 cents:
    if you have a NON working coupler on the front, i would expect it to derail the car it is pushing.

do you have a way to install a WORKING coupler on the front?
  4. Vic

Vic Active Member

Hi Fastan, JDH came close enough to "win a cigar":D

What's happening is that as long as that non-working coupler is pushing the car on straight track its pushing "straight on" to the coupler on the car,but when the car and the loco enter a curve the force of the non-working coupler pushing against the working coupler is now deflected at an angle and causes the car to derail. This is because the non-working coupler has little or no side to side motion.

Like JDH said if a working coupler could be installed that would be the best solution. The only other alternative I see would be to somehow modify the non-working coupler so that it had side to side swing.

I'm not familar with your loco so hopefully this will at least give you a starting place :)
  5. fstan29

fstan29 New Member

Thanks thanks thanks to each responder! I have developed a "cheat" that has worked well since your responses. I made an "invisible" cowcatcher of clear plastic packaging material.Each end of the catcher is affixed to inside of the engine's body with bits of --wouldn't you know--duct tape. Thanks again.
  6. Woodie

Woodie Active Member

Ummm. also fstan, how tight are the curves? What sort of radius are they?
  7. fstan29

fstan29 New Member

I use RealTrax 0-31 45degree curves. 8 of these sections make a circle of 31 in diameter. I note your "umm..." do you recall the colgate toothpaste commercials of some years ago featuring the "invisible sheild". My "bumper" is but 1/2 " high and curving it about the front of the loco furnishes a smooth surface for the side-to-side motion ofcoupler of the car being pushed to ride on.
    Thanks for the question.
  8. MCL_RDG

MCL_RDG Member

I think...

I think if a loco didn't derail a car while pushing it from time to time I'd suspect something's wrong!