Locomotive aesthetics

Discussion in 'Getting Started' started by Triplex, Mar 9, 2009.

1. nkp174

nkp174 Active Member

I regard the 2-10-0s as a bit homely...but nothing to puke over. The CP 2-8-2 is probably my next least favorite...the feedwater heater does it...but it is by no means ugly. (I generally find CP locomotives to be nice...but CN to be run of the mill)

I like that Lima built 2-8-8-4...
  2. ZeldaTheSwordsman

ZeldaTheSwordsman Thomas Modeler

One of my absolute faves is a certain LBSCR E2
  3. nkp174

nkp174 Active Member

I've got to go with the Terriers over the E2s. The B1s were pretty awesome as well. Anything in Stroudley's Improved Engine Green is a keeper.

4. ZeldaTheSwordsman

I was referring to a specific E2.
  5. Triplex

Triplex Active Member

That's exactly it... they have some nice features, but the proportions ruin it.

My weaknesses in the field of steam are Elescos, Vanderbilts, all-weather cabs, skyline casings and Scullins.

As for diesels (this should get some responses from a different set)...

Again, too many preferences to list. My old standby is the SD80/9043MAC, which I believe to be a popular engine. Among modern power, it's definitely the best. I don't like the more angular nose on the SD90MAC-H II. Interestingly, both GE's and EMD's current products produce the same reaction: nice body, butterface.

Speaking of widenoses, I prefer them without a window in the nose door.

Like most people, I also like the GP60M and standard-nose B40-8, among "modern" power. A surprise was finding I liked the standard-nose C40-9.

Going into second-generation power, I find I like the 20-645 EMDs: SD45 but more so the others: F45, FP45, SDP45 (I like the SD80MAC, how can I not like this?), SD45-2. And I suppose the more esoteric "flares": DDA40X, GP40P-2, GP40X, SD45X...

Just as much as those, the big Alcos: C630, C636, M630, M636, M640. Also C430.

Among switchers, the Flexicoil-truck SW1200/1500.

First generation: Yes, there are locomotives better-looking than Alco PAs. FM C-Liners and Erie-Builts. Even among Alcos, I find the FAs more proportionate... favorite is the FPA-4.

FP7/9s look too long, preferred Fs are the first two phases of the F3 as well as the FT. Among Es, however, I prefer the E8/9 over the earlier models except the E2. I guess I have a weakness for portholes. :D

Best-looking first-gen hoods are Alcos: RS-2/3, RS-11, RSD-7/15. But also the SD7/9.

First-gen EMDs look bad with chopnoses... but worse with original (sloped) low noses.

Favorite first-gen switcher: S-2 (specifically prefer it over the smaller-radiator S-1 and S-3, and prefer Blunt trucks). Or maybe Alco HH-series.

The DL-109 is NOT ugly.
  6. nkp174

nkp174 Active Member

I generally agree...although all-weather cabs don't bother me. Scullins are bad. Very bad. Vanderbilts are a net negative too.

Aesthetically, PA-1s, especially NKP Bluebirds, are the only ones which I regard as acceptable. I have no problem with Bluebirds being on my layout...although my only one rarely has been.

If I had to go with dievils, most 1st generation switchers, RS-3s, and some F units are the best.
  7. Triplex

Triplex Active Member

By "weaknesses", I meant that I liked all of those!
  8. Mountain Man

Mountain Man Active Member

This looks like a giant motorized custard.
  9. ZeldaTheSwordsman

That yellow colour is Stroudley's Improved Engine Green. Bit of a misnomer isn't it? XD
  10. Mountain Man

I'll say...
  11. ZeldaTheSwordsman

Anyone guessed which E2 I was referring to yet?
  12. Mountain Man

Were we supposed to? :rolleyes:
  13. ZeldaTheSwordsman

Yes, actually. So there. ;)
  14. steamhead

steamhead Active Member

Would it be "R2E2"...??? :roll1:
  15. Mountain Man

Well, I didn't...so there. :cool: