Loco Wheel Replacements

caellis

Does anyone know a source for replacing ALL the wheels on IHC steam loco's.
The IHC loco's I have are not RP25 compliant(flanges too high/deep).

They were good runners on code 100 so I would like to convert if not too costly.

I operate on code 83 track now and have not been able to run my IHC loco's for this reason.

I would be grateful for any help pointing me in the right direction.

N

nachoman

I have two suggestions (assuming you are talking about IHC steam locos):

First, try contacting IHC. They have updated some of those models with RP25 flanges. The new driver design may be drop in replacements, I don't know. As for IHC diesels, I am not sure if any have been released with RP25 flanges. For diesels, I would try contacting NWSL to see if they offer replacements. For the non-drive wheels (tender, pilot or leading trucks), there are probably many options available. I am sure NWSL would make something that would fit those.

Option #2 would probably be to try and turn down the flanges on those problem wheels. I can't help you much with this, but it will probably require removing the drivers, and building some kind of setup to turn the wheels while you gently grind down the flanges using a Dremel type tool. You can check for the correct flange depth with a NMRA gauge.

kevin

Russ Bellinis

caellis said:
Does anyone know a source for replacing ALL the wheels on IHC steam loco's.
The IHC loco's I have are not RP25 compliant(flanges too high/deep).

They were good runners on code 100 so I would like to convert if not too costly.

I operate on code 83 track now and have not been able to run my IHC loco's for this reason.

I would be grateful for any help pointing me in the right direction.

Have you tried running your IHC locos on code 83? Our modular club required the use of code 100 on the mainlines because some members have old Rivarossi locomotives with large flanges. Some guys wanted to switch to code 83 for better looks and one guy put a Rivarossi with large flanges on code 83 and found that there was no problem running it. further examination revealed that code 83 track uses smaller track nail detail castings and that the distance from the top of the track nails to the top of the rail was about the same for code 83 as for code 100.

ed acosta

IHC/Rivarossi on Code 83

This is a problem that I haven't been able to solve. I have quite a few Rossi/IHC locos and was planning on running Code 83. I agree with the comment that Code 83 flex track has spike heads that lay rather low allowing Rossi flanges the clearance that they need. Big problem is when the loco arrives at a Code 83 turnout or crossing where there is not enough depth allowance built in to permit the wheel flange to pass.

I am curious if anyone has attempted to contact IHC and determine if they sell the newer rp25 compliant wheelsets to replace our old ones. I suspect they don't and if they did they would be far too expensive to consider. I'll keep tabs on this forum just in case.

Thanks for bringing up this old problem!
-Ed

N

nachoman

there was a description in MR a few years back about a solution. Someone took two brass L brackets, cut slots in them the same size as the axles (or ouside diameter of the axle bearings, if they have axle bearings) and screwed the brackets down to the board. The brackets kinda formed a "frame" that held the driver and allowed it to rotate. Next, a small motor was attatched to the board, and a rubber band was looped around the shaft of the motor and the driver axle. When the motor was turned on, the driver turned via the rubber band belt. The author advised liberal amounts of oil on the bearings. Once the axle was spinnning, the flanges were ground down with a spinning grinder wheel in a motor tool. It is probably kinda risky, but it could work if one is desperate. The goal is to not overheat the driver centers or axle. I wish I could draw a diagram of the setup, but I won't have a scanner available until tomorrow.

kevin