Loco service

trainman1965

Hey guys i am new to the forum and to model trains. So i have a bunch of Q i mite need to ask. frist one is What type of grease do you guys use to grease the gear drive on you locos. next how do you clean the wheels on the locos and what type of cleaner do you use. Thanks :wave:

Russ Bellinis

You will probably get as many answers to your question as there are members of The Gauge! Labelle makes a line of lubes for locomotives. Just make sure that the product you use is plastic compatible unless you are lubing a brass model with no plastic parts. At the club I belong to we use alcohol to clean wheels, and a brite boy and slider cars (masonite slider block on the bottom of one car in the train mounted roughside down) to clean track.

Pooh Bah
I use the Labelle grease with teflon.
I like the Aero locomotive works (something like that) track cleaner for both track and wheels. Easiest way is turn the car upside down and use a Q-tip saturated with cleaner; rub it on the wheel as it turns (either under power or by hand as necessary). Heavy gunk may require a flat blade to get it started.
I think we have a thread on wheel cleaning.