Loco runs off track, not on.

jdphotog

Dec 23, 2006
Hi, need a little help

Bachmann G 4-4-0 steam engine. Was running fine, then the transformer was set to "zero",but left plugged in overnite. Now the engine will not hum, light up, attempt to move , or make any noise while on the track. When drive wheels are lifted off the track and the guide wheels stay on the track the engine runs and lights up. When I set the drive wheels back down I see a blue spark off the rear drive wheel to the rail as the wheel gets very close to the rail. If I bench test by touching power leads to the guide wheels where the pickups are the engine runs. Where do I start???

JD

I had the same problem with my Bachmann 4-4-0 G scale locomotive. I went to their web site and got some repair information. For $50 plus shipping, they did an entire overhaul on the locomotive. That might be your best way to go! They did a very good job!:thumb: Plus I got the locomotive back in a very timely fashion. It sounds like the electric motor might be burned out.:(

Merry Christmas:wave: ,
Andy

Dragon

Nov 13, 2003
Western NY
www.dragonmnt.com
Actually, after carefully reading your symptoms, I'd bet something on that last set of drivers is shorted to the frame. THat's the only reason it would arc and cause a short like that.

But again, it's probably safer to let Bachmann do the repairs unless you're VERY sure of what you're doing.

jdphotog

Dec 23, 2006
I removed the bottom cover over the running gear and looked for cut wires, broken leads, or debris and really couldn't find anything. While the engine is on the bench I put power to the pickup wheels on the front truck and the motor spins the drive wheels in either direction. No odd noises. I wondered if there are ohmeter test for continuity I could do before I spend the bucks, y'know from motor to frame or wheels. Any help is appreciated.
JD