Loco recommendation wanted

Soonerfan

Sep 28, 2001
Birmingham, AL
Visit site
Hey guys, need suggestion: I want a steam HO loco that smokes and has a can motor, flywheels, and is under $100. Am I dreaming or is this possible. And is Mantua or Mehano any good?

Soonerfan

C

Catt

I thinking getting all of that in one loco is going to be impossible.As far as your question about Mantua and Mehano. The answer is yes they are both good. Mantua is a bit pricey where Mehano is a reasonably priced good running product.

justind

Jul 8, 2001
Provo, UT, USA
IHC Premeir

IHC has their premiere steam priced between $40 and $70, and I think they make smoke units as well as the non-smoke. I don't know the price to expect on that though.

roryglasgow

Jun 3, 2001
Huntsville, TX USA
web.wt.net
As Justin pointed out, I.H.C. locomotives are within your price range. All have can motors and the larger ones have flywheels. As far as I know, none of them come with smoke, but you may be able to install a smoke generator. Trainworld is selling off their I.H.C. inventory for less than I.H.C.'s current sale prices. I picked up a 4-4-0 for $30! Check out their web site. They also sell Seuthe smoke generators.

Bachmann sells a few steam locos that make smoke. I don't know if they have can motors or not.

-Rory

nscaler

Oct 8, 2001
Visit site
The IHC locos use VERY cheap can motors, just because it is a can motor doesn't mean it is good. The bachmann locos use nice can motors which are much better than the IHC unit, but they both run about the same. They will just last longer and run smother longer than the ICH motors. Heck the IHC motors have plastic bushings :(

If your price range is under $100 go with the Athearn 2-8-2 or a nice Bachmann spectrum steam unit (like the 2-8-0 consolidation). The athearn sells for $89 at most places and the Bachmann for $69

http://www.athearn.com/Genesis/genesis/GENESIS.html

Drew1125

Jan 28, 2001
I saw a post on another forum saying that Mantua was going out of business, & the tooling is up for sale.
This is a real shock, if it's true. They've been around for 70 years or so.
Anybody else know anything about this?
With this roller-coaster economy, I'm afraid we may be seeing more of this kind of thing.