Loco prices, online vs LHS

prodigy2k7

Dec 17, 2006
I am trying to find cheap, non sound DCC equipped locos, around 50-70 dollars, i havent gone to my hobby shot lately about DCC and dont have time to yet so I come here.

In general, what is cheaper, online (ebay, hobby stores)? or your local hobby shop?
(DCC equipped)

Thanks
~Kenny

COMBAT

Oct 28, 2006
Phoenix
you can equip a lot of cheap locos with dcc. Pick an engine and get a chip. If you want it easy get it built in, if you want it cheap get ready for some work. That is what I have noticed. :)

CRed

Dec 10, 2006
Duluth,MN
E-Bay for me when I can find a deal,I paid $100 for my BLI DM&IR RSD-15 retail it's $250.My local hobby shop has better prices then most online shops do so I don't mind going there either and supporting the local economy.

Chris

LongIslandTom

Apr 8, 2006
Long Island, NY
Generally, you can usually get better deals on-line than from a local hobby shop. Doesn't hurt to look at both places though.

The other advantage of ordering on-line is that if you order from a different state than the one you live in, you don't pay any sales tax. That can make a big difference for big orders.

Like I mentioned to you last week, you might want to jump on that Atlas DCC-equipped GP38 at MB Klein's. $65 is cheap for a high-quality loco like that.

COMBAT

Oct 28, 2006
Phoenix
I do this, I go online, get prices, go to the LHS and have them give me a price. I then tell him what I can get it for and he matches it. Unless he beat it already. :)

Life is good!

65GASSER

Jun 12, 2006
Malvern, AR
Ebay will be your cheapest bet IF you can find the right ones and get lucky. I've bought a bunch of locos off of ebay. Non DCC equiped, but I'm looking into swapping my blue box athearns over. :thumb:

prodigy2k7

Dec 17, 2006
tom i went there but there is no picture, i cant bare to buy something with no picture, and another thing i dont get, how do u know they are dcc equipped?

LongIslandTom

Apr 8, 2006
Long Island, NY
Each Atlas locomotive has a unique product number. I looked up the one at MB Klein and matched it with the specs for that product number on the Atlas site. I'm 100% sure it's a DCC-equipped GP38.
If it's not what MB Klein said it was, you can return it. Those guys are pretty reputable and they've been around for a long time.

COMBAT

Oct 28, 2006
Phoenix
Features:
  • Golden-white LEDs
  • Realistic die-cast underframe
  • Five-pole skewed armature motor with dual flywheels for optimum performance at all speeds
  • Directional lighting
  • Factory-equipped with AccuMate® knuckle couplers
  • Detailed cab interior with crew
  • Separately-installed scale windshield wipers, metal grab irons and fine scale handrails
  • Movable drop steps
  • Walkway safety tread
  • Coupler cut bars
  • Multiple unit hoses and trainline hoses
  • HO 4-Function Dual-Mode® Decoder <----- LOOK HERE
  • Snowplow

:D

prodigy2k7

Dec 17, 2006
CRAP!!!! i was so stupid, sorry! lol

Question:
Do all
Atlas HO GP-38 & GP-40 Locomotives
have DCC onboard? All GP38 and GP40 locos i mean?

LongIslandTom

Apr 8, 2006
Long Island, NY
All of the locos with product numbers listed on that particular page at Atlas are DCC-equipped.

Like I said, you have to look at the product numbers and match them up with what Atlas lists at their site for particular runs of the product. In the case of product #8957 at MB Klein, it is DCC-equipped.

There has been previous runs of the GP38 from Atlas that were not DCC-equipped, but they got different product numbers so that's how you can make sure.

Hope this helps.

prodigy2k7

Dec 17, 2006
I bought one from that website you gave me, its actually the one u told me to get earlier that was on sale, like 64.99 i think. It was on that list.
I figured id buy it now while its on sale and still in quantity lol...

Thanks a lot, i just hope I know what im doing lol.... I dont often spend $72 online, at age 18 lol...

Sorry about everything guys, i want to know 100% of everything before I do anything lol...

LongIslandTom

Apr 8, 2006
Long Island, NY
LOL, look at that! No longer listed at the MB Klein website. Looks like you got the very last one available. :thumb:

To take advantage of the tax-free sale (if you live in another state), maybe you should have piggybacked some other things onto that order. :D

Anyway, I think you will be very pleased with that Atlas locomotive. I got three of their B40-8s and those things glide across the rails like they are on ice. That's how smooth, quiet and responsive they are.

When you get that Atlas in the mail, you should run an el-cheapo Tyco locomotive first, then run that Atlas. You will be amazed at the difference a good engine makes.

prodigy2k7

Dec 17, 2006
LongIslandTom said:
LOL, look at that! No longer listed at the MB Klein website. Looks like you got the very last one available. :thumb:

To take advantage of the tax-free sale (if you live in another state), maybe you should have piggybacked some other things onto that order. :D

Anyway, I think you will be very pleased with that Atlas locomotive. I got three of their B40-8s and those things glide across the rails like they are on ice. That's how smooth, quiet and responsive they are.

When you get that Atlas in the mail, you should run an el-cheapo Tyco locomotive first, then run that Atlas. You will be amazed at the difference a good engine makes.
lmao @ EL CHEAPO lol... Ya it said there was 1 in stock, not anymore ;) lol But ya ive seen some videos of how quiet some locos are, and I have my current DC cheap engine, it roads loud lol.... I had it under the x-mas tree and having it going around at a reasonably fast speed (almost full) you could hear it over the TV lol...

LongIslandTom

Apr 8, 2006
Long Island, NY
When you receive it, you might want to write a review of it in the Product Reviews forum. Discuss your impressions of the loco (running quality, appearance, the good, the bad, and the ugly, etc.), and please POST PHOTOS. :thumb:

Good luck, and enjoy!

prodigy2k7

Dec 17, 2006
LongIslandTom said:
When you receive it, you might want to write a review of it in the Product Reviews forum. Discuss your impressions of the loco (running quality, appearance, the good, the bad, and the ugly, etc.), and please POST PHOTOS. :thumb:

Good luck, and enjoy!
reviews at the MB klein?
EDIT: how do i if its not listed anymore?

LongIslandTom

Apr 8, 2006
Long Island, NY
Naw man. I'm talking about the review forums here at the Gauge! :rolleyes:

Share your thoughts on that engine with the rest of the community here at the Gauge so others can benefit from your experience!