Loco Lube

Discussion in 'N / Z Scale Model Trains' started by pickeral, Apr 9, 2007.

1. pickeral

pickeral New Member

LOCO LUBE ????

I would like any advice for lubrication of Locomotives.
    I-What should be oiled?
    II-Where should I oil?
    III- What type of oil?
    IV-How often should I oil?

I have a few loco's that are 35/40 years old and were never run.Many others are old and used very little.Just recently (after a seven or ten year lapse)got the urge to finish my 42" x 48" scenic display and get into it again.

Guess I'm getting too old for strenious activity's,staying indoors more.Been interested all along,just too many other things.Thinking I'll be staying with the trains more.

Been reading here awhile and find this site very infomative.Hope you all can help.I would appreciate it very much.
  2. NCMRailroad

NCMRailroad Member

Hi... your best bet is to check out Woodland Scenics.. they have a great selection of lubes properly designed for lubricating your locomotives.
  3. eightyeightfan1

eightyeightfan1 Now I'm AMP'd

LaBell makes a line of oils and lubes designed specifiacally for models trains(Cars, planes).
    First, since your motive power has been sitting for awhile, I would take them apart and clean them. I'm sure there has to be a decade of dirt and dust in the works. Corrosion on the electrical contacts and wiring ect..ect.
    Next, a little grease on the gears, and a drop of oil on the shaft bushings.
    Run your loco, disassemble, clean them again, then re-lube.
    Hope this helps
  4. Biased turkey

Biased turkey Active Member

Locomotive gears, grease. My LHS owner told me that if it's a plastic gear loco I could use Tamiya grease .
    The other parts will need oil ( such as the trucks )
    So far it works good for me
  5. 60103

60103 Pooh Bah

You'll probably need both oil and grease. Buy plastic compatible -- it should say so right on the package. I use Labelle oil and their grease with Teflon.
    Any parts that rub on each other get oiled or greased. All gears -- put a dab on a few teeth on one gear and let it ride around. If there are gears that will get missed (where one gear is actually 2 gears fused together) each system needs a dollop. The ends of motor shafts need a drop of something; if there's a felt pad, it takes oil. A drop of oil on where the end of a shaft rotates in a bearing plate. A drop where axles rotate in either side frames or inboard mountings. Where valve gear (on steamers) rotates or slides.
    a "drop" is not a drop squeezed out of the oil can. Put this drop on a piece of aluminum foil and use the head or point of a pin to transfer the least amount of oil possible to where it's needed.
    Couplings may like a bit of graphite grease in their mounting boxes.
  6. Biased turkey

Biased turkey Active Member

Good point 60103, I replaced a rapido coupler with a Micro-trains truck and their graphite grease is good.