loco loco

Discussion in 'FAQs' started by yellowlynn, Jan 28, 2005.

1. yellowlynn

yellowlynn Member

I got a loco that I haven't the foggiest what kind it is. Perhaps somebody has one and knows. Nothing written inside or on the bottom.

Attached Files:

2. Chessie6459

Chessie6459 Gauge Oldtimer

Lynn that UP Locomotive is a F3A. It was in the classified as a freight engine & bought in 1948. I have one like that and it is a bachmann, although it might be made by someone else.
  3. yellowlynn

yellowlynn Member

Sorry I didn't make it clearer. I'm wondering who the maker is. I know it's old, but I don't think B'mann made anything like this. It is HO by the way.

4. Ray Marinaccio

Ray Marinaccio Active Member

That is one of the early Athearn drives. (pre 1962)
    Does the shell have seperate number boards and the headlight hole not drilled through the shell?
    It could be the Athearn/Globe F7shell.
  5. yellowlynn

yellowlynn Member

Ray, I think you may have hit it. The number boards look like they are glued on. And the "light" is a hole about 3/16" deep and not all the way thru. It must be an old Athearn. Anyway, I was just curious about it, so I'll settle opn that. Thanks.

6. shaygetz

shaygetz Active Member

WoooooHooooooo....lookit that dinosaur. Those drive components must be hammer forged by Vulcan himself...love that old school stuff. :thumb:
  7. Roger Hensley

Roger Hensley Member

Yes, that is an Athearn. It followed their rubber band drive and was the first iteration toward their modern drive line.
  8. jon-monon

jon-monon Active Member

That's cool, Lynn, whatcha gunna do with it? Does it run?
  9. 77railer

77railer Member

I agree that is an athearn I have one myself and its identical except for color.