Locking Diff's

Discussion in 'RC Offroad Forum' started by bandit1, Mar 1, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bandit1

bandit1 Member

I know locking the diff's occurs a lot more often in rock cralwing. But my questions are what is the advantages of them? is the only disadvantage to them that you turning radius is decreased? and is there a way to lock them up without buying anything? thanks
  2. rockn82

rockn82 Marx Brother

A: you can lock them.
    B: dont!

You will snap axles left and right because the tire on the outside of the turn travels farther thus turning the dogbone more times than the tire on the inside of the turn. When you have the Diff locked something has to give. Most of the time it is tire slippage. But the rest is broken parts.

If you dont care then mix up some JB weld and smush it into the diff carrier bolt on the ring gear and viola. You have posi, crude but effective. Works actually pretty good in RWD Stad's when on dirt, only.
  3. bandit1

bandit1 Member

ok, i thought the only down fall of locking them up is loosing turning radius, but I see what your saying. Maybe I'll try it on one of my old radio shack trucks...it cant hurt to break one of those right?:D Thanks
  4. gaz_r36

gaz_r36 Member

ive got them locked on my jero and its still goin gd
  5. badone

badone Member

lots of guys on there crawlers lock the diffs i had my clod lo9cked for 2 years befor i sold it and i never had any probs with it!
  6. monsterrcbuilder04

monsterrcbuilder04 Active Member

if you plan on locking them then dont use it on street. its stricktly offroad.unless you dont mind breaking parts
  7. gaz_r36

gaz_r36 Member

i use my jero on the street wih a 15 turn in and it runs real gd i dont like the speed on road tho but it gives me loads of power offroadin
  8. monsterrcbuilder04

monsterrcbuilder04 Active Member

well you probably wont find much damage with an electric truck. my evader runs fine with the locked diff but i know with nitro trucks that put out a lot of power it can kill the dogbones/axles
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.