Lockheed L1649 "Super Star Constellation"

Discussion in 'Kit Reviews' started by Elger, Jun 9, 2007.

1. Elger

Elger New Member

Hello together,

what I'm actually working on, is an older modelkit (printed in the late 80's) of an very proud airliner.

The Lockheed L 1649A from Schreiber.

The aircraft is scaled in 1:50, what means a wingspan of 90 cm.

By the way:
    Becourse of my english is not so well, I'll show you more pictures, than writing text.
  2. Elger

Elger New Member

first I made a stand for the model.

The aircraft is not fixed on the aliminiumstick. It can be removed.
  3. Elger

Elger New Member

Untill now, there were no problems at all. Everything goes perfectly together.
  4. wunwinglow

wunwinglow Active Member

That is a neat piece of work, and of such a beautiful aircraft! Keep us posted with progres,

5. Rick Thomson

Rick Thomson Member

That is a nice build, did this model come with the tip tanks?

I built Paper Trade's KLM Constellation last month and was very pleased with it. I've got Schrieber's Convair on my to do list at the moment, hopefully it will fit together as nicely as your Connie seems to.
  6. Elger

Elger New Member

Hi Rick,

no, the model comes not with the tip tanks.
    The reason is, the 1649 had no tip tanks.

The 1649 "Super Star Constellation" was the last aircraft of the "constellation- family". And one of the differences to the 1049 "Super Constellation" are the new created wings. They had no tip tanks.
  7. David H

David H Member

I have to ask is that Connie on free standing building stand?

If you say yes I have to say Wooooooo, dedication to perfection!

8. rmks2000

rmks2000 Member

Beautiful job! That is one big plane. I think the Super Connie is the best looking prop-driven passenger aircraft of the era. Does it also have a longer fuselage as compared to the 1049?
  9. Elger

Elger New Member

Hi David,

now I hope, I understand your question rightfully. :???:

In the posting upside (I think, the second one), you have detailed pictures of the rod of the stand (pictures c0001-1 and c0001-2).

The stand was made the following way:

We have a patten made of wood. 40x40 cm to give the whole thing a save standing.

In the middle of the patten is a hole (Ø 6mm).
    Here I glued a aluminium- tube (Ø 6mm) which one I cut skew at the top.

In the tube I fixed an aluminium solid rod. It's a bit longer than the tube.

Now come to the aircraft.

In the boddy of the aircraft we find that aluminium tube again. It is fixed there an at the bottom it comes out of the boddy for about 10 mm.

It is cutted skew the same way, like the one that comes out of the patten.

So you can put the aircraft on the stand. The solid rod, that comes out of the tube, goes into the tube of the aircraft.

So you don't have to fix the aircraft.

The reason of cutting the tube skew is easy:

If a little wind comes, or you touch the aircraft, It would "circle around" on his rod.

But becourse of cutting it skew, it cirkles around, but allways comes back on the same position.

@ rmks2000

"...I think the Super Connie is the best looking prop-driven passenger aircraft of the era..."

Absolutely! I think so, too.

The fuselage of the 1649 is a bit longer, than of the 1049. That's right.
    But if you see the aircraft, first you see the tanks, or not. So I think, that's the main difference. Opticaly.

Now I hope, somebody might understand my english...

10. Lex

Lex Dollmaker

Bring back familiar memories... This was one of the first kits that was published officially in China, and one of the first kits that I've made...

Nice build, I'll be watching this closely.
  11. Elger

Elger New Member

Ok, today I started with the engines.

Yesderday finished the patten of the stand. I painted it with clear colour. And, now the tube comes out of the "Lockheed- sign"...