location of lcomtive on track

bigbondfan

May 6, 2006
:rolleyes: how do you locate the locomotive on the track by using dcc? I have the lenz usb system and I'm using JMRI software to control dcc at the moment. All the locmotives use lenz decoders (LE1000A) with just the basic features. will i need to use track sensors or can you do it through software? Thanks :)

green_elite_cab

Keep It Moving!
Apr 4, 2005
Hainesport NJ
I don't think you can use DCC to locate a train. Normally you'd have a spereate powere sensor system thing in or around your tracks.

what are you trying to do?

AlienKing

Apr 19, 2006
Zimo and Digitrax are the only 2 DCC systems that I know of that support what you want to do.

With the digitrax, you'd need to use their transponding features. You set up your BLD168s like normal for block detection, then add RX4's for transponding.

I'm not familiar with how you'd do it with ZIMO, but I'm pretty sure its possible. They tried to get it approved by the NMRA, but issues with the implimentation kept it from being approved as an NMRA standard.

Nick8564

Sep 3, 2004
I know Digitrax has a system for this. You can use it to set up block detection which will tell you there is a train in that block, and you can set up transponding on the same system and will tell you the block is occupied and which train is in that block.

bigbondfan

May 6, 2006
thanks for responding and sorry for the delay. i will check out the digitrax website and find out about it. I like JMRI, but i only really use it for the throttles (i don't really understand most of the other features).