Local Train Track Miniature Model in N

Cummins

Hi again!
I am hoping to build an N scale model of my local steam track. It consists of a small double rail system with a train station and an industrial yard along with a selection of other sidlings. The basic plan can be viewed here: http://www.the-gauge.com/showthread.php?t=14599. I decided to model in N to keep the costs down. I will set in in 1991. That way, I can take a camera down, take some pics and they will be perfectly accurate.

NOTE: The actual distances between the station, yard and both ends will be much bigger than in the picture. It is smaller in the picture to reduce size. The two white things are crossing gates. Close by there is a signal box. The light green patches are trees/chrubbery etc.

tillsbury

I like your plan. Try getting Xtrkcad or something else and laying out for real -- this will also allow you to compare N and Z scale if you want.

Peco do some nice old-style small UK wagons, although the quality is not exactly fabulous for the money, they are bashable...

Charles

Cummins

Is Xtrkcad that plastic track? I think its that stuff where you can lay down 1:1 scale replicas of model track to see what scales etc to use.

I have decided though that N is the one for me because its alot cheaper and it is more compatible with electronics and it has the right locomotives for me.

Thanks,
Chris

P.S: Also, I think modelling the real thing exactly would get very boring after a while as the line has the station and yard right next to each other with the road in between but then it is alot of straight, only periodically interupted by another crossing or some more sidlings. I'm not sure what to do at the right hand side where it has the arrows as I have room to extend the board in width there and create a loop so it can come back. Either that or I just put the baseboard acroos and have it drive through and their I can have (out of site of the scenery so as not to look strange) loop fiddle yard so I can store lcomotives etc there and also use it as a loop to come back on the other track. I was also thinking I could get a double controller if I did have a loop and insulate the line half way round the turning loop so that I can have two trains running seperatly on the two lines. I think that would work.

Because the line is built on a slight curve, I think I will just buy a few meters of flexible track and some points and then I can shape it however I need.

Also, at the left hand side where their is the sidling. What happens on the 1:1 is that the train drives up to near the end of the line, uncouples the coaches. Reverses up that sidling and appears at the front of the coaches, recouples and off they go with the train tugging the coaches in reverse. I hope my vague descriptions are understandable.

tillsbury

No, Xtrkcad is a free cad program that lets you design your layout and run virtual trains around it. Then you can see exactly what space it will take up, and play with different designs, and see whether the operating possibilities will be boring or not... can't remember exactly where it is, but Google knows. You have to 'register', but recently they made available a free registration key, so it is effectively freeware...

Charles

jetrock

One thing about that plan--it does not appear to have a runaround track, necessary to many switching moves. You could easily sneak one in by adding a crossover or having the double track at one end come together to a single track out of public view.

I understand the problems involved with trying to model a prototypical stretch of right-of-way--I'm doing a similar project, although my plan is for track that was (mostly) torn out between 1947 and 1965. A lot of buildings from that period are still around, though, so I can still use real-life photos to model the scene...