Loads in/ Empties out concept

Discussion in 'Track Planning' started by papa smurf37, Nov 14, 2002.

1. papa smurf37

papa smurf37 New Member

Hope I have posted this in the correct forum area!
    We [pal Gary and yours truly] are constructing an HO sectional layout and hope to start track laying in December. Now, we want to use loads in/ empties out concept thru a skyboard [scenic divider] and aside from a coal crushing/grading/washing plant on one side and a coal-fired electric generating plant on the other, we need to have suggestions for OTHER types of industries.
    If a pair of industries used only boxcars for shipments, as an example, then a one track spur would work, as you'd only be hauling the ONE unit train either way.
    OPEN cars require two spurs, with clones in empty units [same reporting marks/numbers as loads], to be credible during an operating session. Suggestions/discussion appreciated...Tom:)
  2. jon-monon

jon-monon Active Member

How about a mine for the coal? You can use ore cars and say, a little diesel critter to pull 5 or 6 of them :D :D :D I'm not biased, no not me...
  3. 60103

60103 Pooh Bah

If you want something a bit more complicated, you could set up a steel mill paired with coal mines+ore mines and then pair the output steel with an automobile/locomotive/whatever manufacturing plant.
    Scrap metal yard paired with ??? (There are lots of scrap metal loads available. Where do they go?) Cut out the middleman and pair the automobile plant with the scrap yard. :D

What other open loads are available?
  4. NYCentral

NYCentral Member

I have a few on my layout.

Oil Refinery/dock area - crude oil in and refined gas/diesel/oil out
    stockyard/slaughterhouse - cattle in reefers out
    gravel pit/concrete plant - gravel in empties out
    logging operation and sawmill - logs to sawmill lumber out
  5. papa smurf37

papa smurf37 New Member

Those industries sound much more like they'd fit on our narrow sectional layout with not too much space to work with. We'll have to sit down and really give this some thought.
    I made an error in my original post above. One CANNOT have a REAL loads in/ empties out operation without two open car cloned sets [one loads, one empties] and two tracks [one for empties and other for loads] This mostly means hoppers. Something to ponder. TTFN..... :)
  6. MasonJar

MasonJar It's not rocket surgery

There was an article in MR not too long ago about commodities and the cars they require. I'll look it up when I get home - update on Monday?

Anyway, two of the more interesting things I remember is furniture manufacturer - lumber in (flat cars or box cars), furniture out (more box cars). The other was BEER (mmm... beer...), with ingredients and packaging in (covered hoppers, box cars) and cases of beer out (reefers).

Hope that helps.

7. moss-lake

moss-lake Member

Hey Phil the logging thing is what I've been planning all along:D :D

Tom, the loadsin/empties out setup should only apply to open topped cars because you are simulating the return of the emptied car to it's loading point. Boxcars, tankcars and covered hoppers can be loaded or empty, dosn't matter 'cause you can't see what's inside them. A covered hopper shoved towards a brewery is assumed to be loaded with grain or hops. If it's being pulled away, it's assumed to be empty and heading back to a Mid-west grain silo.
    It's different with a string of coal hoppers because you can't hide the fact the car is still loaded when you switch it into the coal tipple.
    It is very hard to see the numbers on a heavily weathered coal hopper, especially from a distance. And as for a mis-matched cut of cars, just tell anyone who asks, that's the cars that went in to be unloaded and hour ago, bet they won't wait for and hour just to compare car numbers.
  8. jon-monon

jon-monon Active Member

Hey NYC, an easy addition, little plastic PETA (People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals) protesters in front of the slaughterhouse, then the slaughterhouse can ram the picket line with a HMMV and deliver beef to the little plastic anti-Peta people (peta - people eating tasty animals) for their BBQ on their boats in front of the PETA offices :D :D :D
  9. Railery

Railery Member

When i worked for Cominco Chemical Fertilizer Plant, there was only one spur to the Prils/Nitrate plant. It was a 24/7 site and CP did two pickups a day. They would pull the filled box cars and tanker cars out and slide the empties in to be spotted. There was a slight incline down the track and we would release the first car and let it roll down to be loaded. And if we missed our mark then we would use this special bar, prying under the wheels, to move the car back, and if we missed by too much we would use a payloader to spot it. This would make a good industry to model.