Loader question.

Steve Lancaster

Apr 7, 2005
Alpine Meadows, CA.
I read in the directions for my Keystone Locomotive Works kit of a Barnhart loader that Red was a favored color for these machines ,and that they took on a weathered appearance with time.
Have Fun
Steve

sumpter250

multiscale modelbuilder
Jan 19, 2002
Vernon Hills, Illinois
Visit site
Gil,
Unless you are modeling a specific prototype (there should be data available for that), It would be reasonable to assume that the logging company would have purchased their loader from another company, and that, like some autos I've seen, there would be a different color paint for each replacement part that was added in the course of general maintenance. Or....the loader would be painted with the most readily available ( cheap, not color specific ) paint, and that there would probably be a lot of rust bleeding through.
Pete

Gil Finn

Aug 28, 2005
Bergoo W Va
I have found what I need, they were sort of Tuscan red in color, I have a video now on building a logging RR and it has a great deal of footage from Mower Lumbers operations in Cass from the 50s and 60s.

I am bashing a Lionel Bucryus crane into a loader.

silver

Sep 1, 2004
IHC hobbies sells Barnhart loaders in several schemes in HO to run on top of the rails on thier or Riverossi's log cars. I realize that they are not nessearily the authority on the subject but they offer several colors according to the line. My favorite is the one lettered for Emporium Forestry Co. in green as it was after they moved from PA to NY.

silver

Sep 1, 2004
I do O too. It is a little hard on the wallet at times and the space thing is always a temptation. It is so strange to see pre assembled models from the relatively obscure line that I am researching/ building up models for that I am open to look in other scales too just to see what is out there. The fact that they have color pics I thought would be of interest to you.

In another area of this forum I read that you are bashing a Lionel Burro into a Barnhart loader. What an interesting idea. I am very interested in this project. If you could post pics of your project I would appreciate it. Are you going to mount rails for it on your log cars? The Emporium Forestry Co. had four of these units and I have even learned the names of some of the operators.

Speaking of different scales this summer one of my projects was making new full scale drawings off of an O scale model of a caboose from "my" line. The next step will be done next summer because the wood I had milled and stacked has to dry. I will leave it at that.

Gil Finn

Aug 28, 2005
Bergoo W Va
Two very good replies, thank you.

I am not using a burrow crane but a Lionel No. 6560 Bucyrus Erie Railroad Crane.

I will put it on wheels and rails on a flat.

I guess they are like barns, painted red because that was cheap.

Maybe I will paint MAIL POUCH on it , LOL.:D