LMG-08/15 Spandau MG Experiment

Discussion in 'Gallery & Designs' started by Gil, Oct 10, 2004.

1. Gil

Gil Active Member

Back Again,

Had to get the following started. It's an experiment in modeling an LMG-08/15 "Spandau" machine gun. It's total length is 40 mm. Ok, so it's not perfect and some changes have to be made but it does give the "open" look of the barrel guard. It still has the look of chicken wire which needs to be changed. I'll post follow-ons as they occur to me...,

Best regards, Gil
  2. Leif Oh

Leif Oh Member

One word - how??!? (on earth did you accomplish this pattern) - Leif
  3. cmdrted

cmdrted Active Member

Perhaps a heavier than usual coating of an acrylic paint will add some beef to the barrel jacket. This is excellant!
  4. jrts

jrts Active Member

Hi Gil

Another marvel takes the stage, this looks a fantastic idea.
    Like Leif how the heck did you come up with this 8)

Keep the posts coming good stuff for the troops.

5. Gil

Gil Active Member

Hello All,

The pattern is achieved using dressmaker's "tulle", a fine netting first made in the city of Tulle, France (pronounced "tul" with the an umlaut "u"). Stretching it in one direction and glueing it to a frame allows it to be coated with paint colored PVA to set and stiffen. The frame is then trimmed and rolled around a suitable diameter tube and the longitudinal frame seam glued. The barrel is made from a bamboo skewer and is used to hold the tulle cylinder taught through two drilled and glued plugs through which the barrel passes.

I plan to add an additional layer of tulle but offset it in the vertical slightly. This will thicken the reulting pattern yielding a much more realistic result.

Best regards, Gil
  6. jrts

jrts Active Member

Love the idea, soon its going to take a week just to do the shopping as everything I pass will get the old "what can I use this for" :lol:

Thanks for another wounder and look forward to more

7. silverw

silverw Member

Hey Gil,

It's just amasing at all the modeling material, supplies and tools, that are just laying around disguised as scrap, junk, garbage or intended for some other use entirely. :shock:

In one of your previous posts, you suggested looking for silver paper in the "gift wrapping cupboard". I didn't find any in mine, however, I did find nice shiny colored stuff, that I'm sure would look like painted metal, if a vehicle part were to be made from it. Lots of "ribbony" stuff with fine mesh, etc.

Great stuff!! :!: I'll be waiting to see how this turns out.

8. Gil

Gil Active Member

Absolutely..., the tulle was originally for another experiment to make molded compound curves. It worked but not as well as pure silk. I looked at it several times in the interim and finally ended up cutting off a scrap and started "toying" with it. Several experiments went by before the one presented here.

Another use of tulle is to cement it to cardstock where a "diamond" pattern is desired.

Tulle comes in several "scales" which can be used for various "netting" requirements in modeling.

Best regards, Gil
  9. Renaud

Renaud Member

pronounce it as if it were written in German "Tül", but with a short "u". I tryed "tooul", as you did, but it sounds odd...never mind, I try again.
  10. Gil

Gil Active Member

Re: "Tulle"

The original post has been corrected for improved pronounciation of the city's name (Americans generally don't do very well pronouncing the German umlaut...,).

Best regards, Gil