LiveStemer this ones for you.

ausien

Sep 14, 2004
Sydney, Austrailia
LS I thought you might like to see this, as well as others on the gauge,

The 3801 and its passenger cars as it passed my mates place at about 75 kph,It has been running all week this week, today I had the camra ready:D ,IT is one of only a handfull of steamers still running today if not in service, but alass it is to be scrapped soon, as its boiler is just about boiled out, it is also one of our most famouse engines.. Hope you enjoy.. (sorry for the photo quality)

Attachments

• ho layout 030.jpg
    ho layout 030.jpg
    45.6 KB · Views: 15
  • ho layout 034.jpg
    ho layout 034.jpg
    42.9 KB · Views: 17
  • ho layout 035.jpg
    ho layout 035.jpg
    52.4 KB · Views: 12
  • ho layout 036.jpg
    ho layout 036.jpg
    48 KB · Views: 12

ausien

Sep 14, 2004
Sydney, Austrailia
The story behind the scrapping, as far as I know it is,, she was one of eight or so 38 class steam engines that were bought for australian rail roads. NSW is the only RR that still owns and run steam locomotives. but all the spare parts have runout, and as she is one of the last three left and her boilers are wareing thing from neary 80 yrs service and some years neglect, she was restored about 12 yrs ago and put into service for nastalgia runs and speicail events. as for the scrapping, her boilers are worn out, and she would cost to many $$$$$$ to rebuild hence the scrap heap, regaurdless of the history she holds....some of my facts maybe a little wrong not not to far off the track..have a good one..steve

Pooh Bah
Mar 25, 2002
Brampton, Ontario, Canada
Visit site
She doesn't have to be Scrapped just because the boiler's worn out! They could retire her again and redo the boiler in 20 years.
If the English can build a whole new locomotive that they forgot to preserve, you should be able to do something with one that's complete.
Now, about my proposal of the death penalty for people who destroy things that are older than they are...

ausien

Sep 14, 2004
Sydney, Austrailia
was talking to Geoff today, he`s a friend of the engineer, and he told me that she is to be retired in the next 2 yrs or so, for an indefinate period of time while the powers that be see about getting her refurbished,:thumb: getting new boilers and other bits and peices from England for her and the 38 07, 38 18, :) it was to late for 38 21, 38 22, :cry: which have been scraped already.. but as Geoff, say theres plenty of life left in the old girl yet...have a good one...steve