Livery/Colours Question

Discussion in 'The Real Thing- North America' started by RobertInOntario, May 27, 2007.

1. RobertInOntario

RobertInOntario Active Member

I've already kind of looked into this question but thought I'd check here if my conclusions are correct.

I was just curious as to how late the CNR green/yellow livery was used, particularly on F units, C liners, etc. And I have the same question regarding CP's Maroon/grey colour scheme.

I suspect they were used well into the '70s, possibly the '80s. So, basically, I suspect that older locos in the CNR green/yellow were still operating at the same time when the current black/red/white scheme was first introduced. Likewise, I suspect some maroon/grey locos (F units?) were still operating when CPR switched to their current red scheme.

Is this correct?
  2. kirkendale

kirkendale Member

Great question Rob. I don't know for sure but I believe CN switched to the "new noodle" design in the mid '60s. I think CP switched to the multi-mark a year or to after.
    I am looking for pictures on CP's GP 9 in the maroon/grey colours. I was looking to do mine in the Huron Central orange and black but this is to modern.
  3. Triplex

Triplex Active Member

CN switched to black/red-orange/white in '61. CP switched to Multimark in '68. Based on photos I've seen, old CN colors are rare after 1970. Old CP colors are common into the mid-70s. For both railroads, a few engines lasted in the old colors into the beginning of the 80s.
  4. RobertInOntario

RobertInOntario Active Member

Thanks, Triplex -- that's helpful & interesting. Rob