Live steam "Ruby"

Discussion in 'G / O / S Scale Model Trains' started by hawkeye2, Jun 20, 2004.

1. hawkeye2

hawkeye2 New Member

I went to a steam-up 2 weeks ago (big misteak) and saw 2 Ruby locos in action, you can guess the rest! Does anyone know of a dealer, I'm interested in purchasing Ruby or one of her 2 sisters.
  2. Vic

Vic Active Member

I've been thinking about one of those myself.....G scale live steam for under $400...don't think you can beat it. I examined one a couple of months ago and they are well made. Easy to set up for R/C too. Here's the site for them.... click on live steam in the index.
  3. pcentral

pcentral Member

Hi, I just saw your post. Check with Royce at Quisenberry Station in Washington DC.
    I understand he has some of the best prices on live steam in the country! Sorry, I don't have any contact info to give you but you could do a search for them. Also, go to this is the website for Steam in the Garden magazine. Under their links you may find one to them.
  4. Vic

Vic Active Member

5. Danny

Danny Member

St, Aubins have the Ruby for US $379,89, check Garden Railway magazine or go to .
    regards, Danny Sheehan, downunder in Oz. :thumb:
  6. Vic

Vic Active Member

BTW....The "RUBY" has now come out it kit form. $249.00 US. Don't know if it requires machining or not. Anybody know?
  7. pcentral

pcentral Member

The Ruby kit is supposed to be able to be built using only basic hand tools. On there is a masterclass going on right now featuring the Ruby. The purpose of the class and the kit is to kitbash the Ruby to a prototype of your choice. Dave Hottmann, a member of MLS has made larger cylinders that improve the operation of the Ruby, as well as some other improvements. Vance Bass, also a MLS member sells wood cabs and cowcatchers for the Ruby as well! The Ruby is a nice steamer and quite versatile, there are many things that can be done to them.
  8. hawkeye2

hawkeye2 New Member

Everyone, thanks for the help. I talked with Royce at Quisenberry Station yesterday, he was very friendly and helpful and has excelent pricing. All variations are in stock and he has parts also. The kits are not in yet but he expects them to be screwdriver kits (assembled, tested, disassembled) prepainted. This should be the way to go if I can wait for the next container whch should be wall to wall kits. As of today I guess I can hold out as a large portion of my steam budget is going toward a replacement muffler for my old Toyota.

9. Vic

Vic Active Member

Steve and Hawkeye, Thanks for the information. I know what I'll be asking Santa for this year!!!! :D :thumb:
  10. pcentral

pcentral Member

Hey guys,
    Sorry, I should of mentioned that the Ruby kits weren't in yet. All of the folks following the masterclass I mentioned earlier are waiting for them to arrive too. I guess the delay is due to each engine being assembled and tested at the factory before shipping as Royce stated. I considered getting the Ruby kit and still might after seeing the aftermarket detail parts available for it. My wife REALLY wants the Accucraft 2 cylinder open cab Shay so that may come first. We have been told by several experienced live steamer friends that the Shay is easier to run than the Ruby for the beginner. Plus, my wife already knows how to run the Shay! A few weeks ago The Big Train Show (a strictly large scale show), was held onboard the Queen Mary in Long Beach, CA. There were 2 live steam tracks setup in the parking lot, one of them I helped build recently. Both tracks belong to good friends of ours and the owner of one of them let my wife run his 2 cyl Shay.
  11. Vic

Vic Active Member

After reading the comments and threads at it appears that the Ruby may have some shortcomings in the factory form in that it is not a consistant "runner" right out of the box. But it appears that the additon of several aftermarket devices, (larger cylinders and pistons, chuff pipe, and burner), all of which are simply "bolt on" modifications, will make it into a really smooth and powerful operating loco.

With just some quick addition in my head it appears that one would spend a couple of hundred $$$ more for these modifications (unless you can do machining of the cylinders and pistons) but this would be partially offset by making the orginal purchase of the loco in kit form. So the Ruby is still in the running for me.

Many of the people commented that they wished that Accucraft would "take a hint" and produce subsequent Ruby's with larger cylinders and pistons which apparently is the main improvement and would involve very little in the way of changes in their manufacturing process.

BTW...My relatives live in the DC area and I'll be visiting them later this summer. I'll most definitely be making a call on Royce.
  12. pcentral

pcentral Member

Hey Vic,
    Glad to hear you got over to MLS and read up on the Ruby and the mods for it. At the show on the Queen Mary, the owner of Accucraft was there. He was running trains on the live steam track along with Dave Hottmann, so I'm sure some discussion was had about the changes. At the show a friend of mine ran his stock Ruby right out of the box for the first time and it ran fine. He ran it off and on all weekends with no problems. Another friend had the Ida with the Hottmann cylinders installed running.
  13. Vic

Vic Active Member

Hi Steve, Gosh I hope no one interpeted my comments to mean that there was anything really wrong with the Ruby. I did read a number of comments that indicated that the loco would tend to stall on grades, had a somewhat short run time and lacked some pulling power. All of which were cured by the addition of the larger cylinders.

Your first hand report has just added fuel to my fire of wanting one!!! :) :) Counting my pennys right now!!! :D :D :D :D
  14. TinGoat

TinGoat Ignorant know it all

Ruby gets Tanked!

Jeffery Young is a local (Toronto, Ontario, Canada) G-scale live-steamer who also writes the "Raising steam" column in Garden Railways Magazine

Jeff has a Ruby that he has kitbashed into a Huntsville and Lake of Bays Railway saddle tanker. You can read about Ruby in "Ruby gets tanked!"
    P.S. I married a Ruby... And when I make fun of her (Like now) she gets steamed too! :curse: :curse: :curse:
  15. Tomsz

Tomsz Member

First post here

Hi, I Love the Accucraft Ruby. I just got my 4th one a day a go. Three are Rubys and one is a Mimi, well I have two Mimis now because I modified one of the Rubys. I got one of the first kit versions also. It took me about 2.5 Hours to build, but I've done many mods on Rubys. I have one that burns propane/BUTANE Mix and one that burns Diesel fuel. I'm still working on getting Coal to work. They also have water glass on them and misc. valves , but I don't want to bore anyone more than I have. Sorry for the long First post, I just thought I would tell some about what I like to do for a hobby. If anyone has any questions feel free to ask me and I'll try and help.

Thank You for your time,

And yes, the tender is the wrong scale; Sorry, I'm working on one for it right now.

Attached Files:

16. hawkeye2

hawkeye2 New Member

Ruby's sister

Well things finaly worked out, repaired my Toyota exhaust, put in 34.5 hours overtime last week and called Royce at Quisenberry Station yesterday. The result is that Ida is on her way to me with a gauge and starter kit. I chose to go this way as I decided I didn't want to waite for a kit and probably wouldn't have enough time to scratchbuild a saddle tank and add detail. I hope to lay a circle of Bachhman track on the deck this weekend and begin the break-in. I have some Bachhman wood style side dump ore cars that I hope will look good with the loco. I probably will semi-permenantly join the cars with drawbars to eliminate the questionable couplers. Hope to report the results soon.
  17. Tomsz

Tomsz Member

Cool. I think you will have many years of fun with the Ida.

18. Slick

Slick New Member

Tomsz, I read how you have one of your Rubies running on Diesel.......I'm sure everyone would be extremely interested to know how you have done that......Please send us some explanation on how you have done this rather complicated (I'm sure) conversion. Thanks , Slick. Drop a note to "Live Steam" and or "Garden Rail Roads" too. Not for nothing, they all burn butane-propane mix..... also triblend, butane,propane, iso-butane.
  19. Slick

Slick New Member

BTW all, Ruby runs fine out of the box. After market parts are not needed, they are available...... I'm pulling six LGB Feldbahn coaches and goods wagons with the original cylinders, the engine does need time to break in and the operator does need to learn the characteristics of their engine....... these are great little engines for the price. Unless you choose to go to Cheddar's "Ivan" (650.00 U.S.D) or to an alky (spirits fired) you will have a hard time doing better.
  20. Livesteam

Livesteam Member

I use too have a ruby and loved it i put radio control in it and once i got it running perfect i pulled, 13 normal size LGB box cars and i still had lots of presure.