Little simple boats

Eric Ferguson

Sep 13, 2005
Back in 2006, there was a thread on building a simple sub, with plans taken from a craft book. I said I would look up the original book, but met with no success. Now in 2013. because of having to clean the house for several reasons, the book is found.

Called "Model Boat Building" by Herb Lozier. I bought it in a used book store for 50 cents. When re-found, it had been buried under a lot of junk, and had warped a bit. To add injury to insult, rats had chewed a bit and left *other* reminders of their visit. This book is what lead me to the world of *paper* models.

The book is quite complete in teaching the basics. I am going to scan the entire book into pdf's as they come out quite nicely. Going for jpegs, the color pages come out in B&W. I am learning how to use the printer/scanner in our Senior Center's Computer Lab, so please excuse if these aren't quite perfect scans.

Once I scan the book, and anyone is interested, I would be quite glad to pass on any of those scans, or maybe post the patterns here (if that's OK with Zathros).

Sorry I'm so *late* in this, but the book was *not* where I expected to find it. LOL

Eric

zathros

*****SENIOR ADMINISTRATOR*****
Staff member
Administrator
Apr 5, 2013
That is a really neat book. If it is out of copyright, I think it would be a good thing to store digitally in the downloads section. P.M. me before or when your ready, (or email me at home). :)

zathros

Staff member
Administrator
Apr 5, 2013
We could always post them and remove them if there is a complaint. It's better than loosing them to entropy and degradation of books. :)

Eric Ferguson

Sep 13, 2005
Right now, I am off line at home (dial up) and am trying to scan at the Senior Center. Some aren't so good but willl post anyway. I can always re-scan if someone doesn't like the original. I can also send better from the center. In a bit, after I do some work on renumbering the pages I have scanned, will send them from Starbucks. Just be patient with me. Think there is around 45-50 pages and I'm about a third of the way through.

Agree with you Zathros on losing them. Would rather have them scanned and spread around than lose them again. Bhelliom, one way or another, we'll get you a copy too.

Eric Ferguson

Sep 13, 2005
OK, Let's start. I am posting the copyright page here as well. This was the second printing, and in the early 70's as you can see. I admit I don't know the copyright laws. So I can't tell if it's still copyrighted.

Eric Ferguson

Sep 13, 2005
Last one for tonight.... As far as I could get. Will resume scanning on Monday, hopefully. There's more on the tugboat.

zathros

Staff member
Administrator
Apr 5, 2013
ALL OF THESE WILL BE COLLATED AND AVAILABLE IN THE DOWNLOADS SECTION. Very Soon! :)

Eric Ferguson

Sep 13, 2005
Just as an FYI, I have completed scanning the book, and will be passing them on to Zathros for the collation and putting the results in the download section.

zathros

Staff member
Administrator
Apr 5, 2013
Got it. Lots of upside down pages I have to rotate. I should get it done over the next couple of days and make it into one pdf. This is a book for reading as the way it is scanned, none of the templates could exactly copied (but could be extrapolated for a viable model). It's a good book for those who wish to make moels without the benefit of any computers, which is a good thing to know. All of the planes I ever made that actually flew had nothing done on computers, just old NACA airfoil profiles and a lot of experimenting! :)

zathros

Staff member
Administrator
Apr 5, 2013
In process of turning pages right side up and converting into one .pdf. I thought at first that templates could not be copied, but to be honest, on closer inspection, there's a lot here, and this book could teach much. Especially how to make a model without a computer, which you really don't need. :)

zathros

Staff member
Administrator
Apr 5, 2013
No, two problems. I am not sure that the copyright on these books is up and it will take hours to spin the pages around because of the way you scanned it. I don't think it will be uploaded. I am not a copyright lawyer and scanning and uploading a book , well let's just say, i don't want to be responsible for it. Especially in this litigious society.